Friday, January 09, 2009

good eats.


"why do you people have to eat?!?!?!?!"
a grumbled rhetorical question directed towards my family who
were not even in the room to hear me.

I make food, they eat it, I clean it up. This happens numerous times a day, each day, no matter what.

A good 75 percent of the messes I clean are from food prep, food consumption, and food spills. One day in the middle of it all I realized if they didn't have to eat, my existence would be so simple. My home would be near spotless and never smell like bacon or onions again. I would have to say that in 12 years I have never grown accustomed to having to feed their faces.
I don't love (read--hate) meal planning, grocery getting, cooking or baking, and in my opinion -- I am rather poor at the whole process. The simple admission of this makes me sound quite unsuited for my life, but this is the truth. If given the choice of a personal chef or a maid, without hesitation I would choose a CHEF.





I would love some tips from other mammas out there that either feel the same as me, or feel exactly the opposite. What I am looking for here is to find more than a sense of duty , but more fufillment and dare I say enjoyment in meal creation for my family.

please advise. there must be more to life than cream of chicken soup...?

4 comments:

Triplet Mom said...

For me it all changed when I started trying out recipes for me and Brad that I found in cooking magazines. It began to be fun surprising him. Of course he will really eat almost anything. However, it became more difficult with the girls. They don't always eat everything. I always make them try a bite - but realistically I can't expect them to eat a bunch of Tuscan Sun-Dried Tomato Alfredo Penne with Chicken & Mushrooms. So, my biggest beef now is having to plan two meals all the time. The fun one Brad and I eat, and something like chicken nuggets for the girls.

I agree, no one ever tells you that being a mom is basically making a meal, cleaning up a meal, planning a meal, repeat. Deep breath - it's not forever. Some day we will be like our mother who gets all excited to make us all a huge meal when we come back home.

Sorry for the book I just wrote.

denise said...

what a sweet message from Stacy. Good advice. I think too that it's fun to try one new thing each week. I've found some real favorites by doing this. (I don't do it on a regular basis anymore). I also think that your past plan of breakfast one night a week, pizza and/or a spaghetti type thing one night, etc. is a good one. At least it gives you a starting point. The SCHS cookbook is full of great, easy things like "Bubble Pizza", "Pizza in a bowl", things that kids like too.
My problem with cooking is trying to make less than I do. I always make way too much food, but you knew that!
I will agree that the prep and clean up are no fun but coming up with ideas of what to make is worse for me.
enjoy your day! Love Mom D

tami said...

What I hate is the lack of appreciation from the kids. Noah decides before he even tries it that he doesn't like it. Sorry Mom, for all those years I did that.
On the up side, Rob discovered that he likes to cook and has been cranking out some good meals lately. It's been a nice break for me, along with all the meal we've been getting.

Tina said...

Michelle,
I am going to post something on my blog for all you moms who are wanting the meal planning/grocery list already done for you. A lady from our church has created a book, where the grocery list, 12 week meal planning has already been done for you. I have been doing it for 3 weeks now, and CANNOT imagine not using it! I will try to post it this afternoon....stay tuned!