Friday, November 06, 2009

Hotel Excursion '09


What do you do in the midwest when the kids are on a school break just as  weather turns a bit foul?

You take them to a hotel with a swimming pool.   You let them eat junk food and stay up later than usual.  You all sleep in the same room and pray for daylight.

Last year we ventured to Splash Universe in fabulous Indiana,  this year we kept it local.

Here's the thing;  Dan was already gone out west on a pheasant hunting trip.   I promsied the kids that we would go stay a night in a hotel and it seemed like a good idea at the time.  Just me and the 4 kids.  What could go wrong? 


I saw the look of concern on mother's face when she said good-bye to us for the night.   I will admit.   I don't always think things through.    I often leap into something without thinking of the downside.   As the door closed and Mom went on home it wasn't the first time I felt a little nervous about this adventure.    The first time was when I (briefly) lost Juliet.  She slithered out an open door and took off down the hall as fast as her little feet would take her.    The second time was when she fell face first in the kiddie pool,  cause I was keeping an eye on Chase.   I quickly snatched her up, crisis averted.    The third time was soon to come when we were all laying in bed and from about 9:15 to 9:30 it was a chorus of sneezing, coughing, crying, and yes, farting.  



Normally, Mom would have stayed with me overnight  to help me maintain control,  but thankfully she had just recovered from pneumonia and sleeping (or not sleeping well) at a hotel was not what the doctor ordered.     I convinced her I had it under control,  that the kids were getting more and more independent,  that the night would be smooth sailing.  

Believe it or not,  once the kids fell asleep and the riff-raff out in the hallway settled down   the night was great.    Breakfast was hot in the morning, and we had time to take one more dip in the pool.   All  that was missing was Daddy! 

7 comments:

natalie said...

so glad you were able to get away! you will always have the great memories of this trip...and someday you will laugh together about all the mishaps :)

Katie said...

Glad everything went well for you (well minus the farting) and you were able to get away. You are braver than I :)

AC said...

Farting, eh? They must be children of Danno. I heard about his pheasant farts. Whew!

Grandma Hopkins said...

Thanks for inviting me to join you guys. I had a fun time! I did feel bad leaving you. As I drove home I thought that you were a very brave and great mom to do this with your kids. Then I prayed that your night would go well. My prayers were answered. God is good.

MiniMe Mom said...

Looks like fun... but nothin' beats GWL, son!

kristy said...

Just like when we were at the cottage this summer you just can not seem to keep your eye on the little one.

It sounds like you all had a great time, my kids are jealous. (me too)

braaaaaad said...

Two words come to mind:

Crazy

Insane