Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mini-Van Mega-Fun -- now Low in Carbohydrate.

22 cans of diet soda a day and all the sugar free jello that money can buy.

Oh, the delicious-ness of it all.

This post is contains long overdue props to my husband for the incredible changes he has made to his diet and lifestyle!! Recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, Dan and I took a crash course in all things Carbohydrate. Veggies are in, Dinner Rolls are out. Fruit in moderation, doughnuts--let's face it-- those things serve no nutritional purpose for anyone. Portion size, test strips, sugar alcohols. New terms and new practices we needed to learn and live.

If you know my husband, you know this was one of the most difficult things he has faced in his young life. He committed to the changes, he is committing to his health. I am so proud of him!

Diabetes has also brought about some new activities here on the hill. In order to keep busy, Dan and Mom D. have started a garden. We greatly anticipate the harvest it may yield!


16 comments:

mooter H said...

I'm so proud of Danny too. He's done great and I know it's been very tough. I'm proud of you too Chelle for helping him.

fig said...

It won't be long now and I will be in you same shoes. Family history dictates it. I can't imagine what you are going thru, but, everyday I see people coming into the pharmacy with the same problem who thought they could not change their eating habits and did. You do look as good as you did when I first met you - so keep it up. Now, as for that garden. May I suggest you grow doughnut bushes, cookie trees, chocolate and caramel carrots and lots of sugar peas - I mean sugar suckers. Yum. Oh, don't forget the sweet potatoes - I mean sweet pies. Fig

AC said...

Fig, you are sooooo naughty to Dan. He is doing so well, and you just try to tempt him with all that nasty stuff!
Shame on you!

Dr. Told You So said...

22 cans of soda a day? I can actually see the strength coming out of your bones.

New Profile Picture said...

We change our picture but no new post?

joan b. said...

Yeah to Dan for making positive changes!! Will you be sharing any of the garden veggies?

fig said...

Happy birthday Danno

braaaaaaaaaad said...

Happy birthday Danno (since Chelle doesn't deem it blogworthy.)

Old School said...

Dan is the Man

joan b. said...

Great garden, Dan - saw it a week or so ago...your mom loves it, too! Where are the weeds? Didn't see any.

Gwen said...

Chelle, it's August 12 I'd like to see a new post

MiniMe Mom said...

Good call, Gwen

Gwen said...

Jamie, seriously 3:01 am?????

fig said...

This blog has become dead. It reminds me of Tami I once knew. I used to love to talk with her on her blog, but, sigh, her blog also is dead.

MiniMe Mom said...

I used to love this blog. Back when someone updated it.

fig said...

Hmm, Sept 10 and yet no new updates. I guess I will go to MiniMe's blog and gain some knowledge.