Thursday, February 10, 2011

proof my kids will fight about ANYTHING !

A little healthy sibling rivalry is normal in every household, right?

The boys wrestle,  the girls fight over the same Barbie and they all fight over who will sit where in the mini-van.

A few weeks ago they reached a new low.   Fighting over prayer.

The disappointing scene took place before supper one evening last month when Dan was working in Maryland.   I was already weary from the days doings and I was looking forward to getting off of my feet for 30 minutes to scarf up whatever  concoction I had prepared.

We sat down and decided that we would do a popcorn prayer to begin the meal time.   This gives each kid the opportunity to offer a praise or request, and even Juliet gets in on it  (thanking God for her milk, or Daddy)   Before even one hand was folded, or one eye closed a fight ensued!

Drew accused Joy of stealing all of the "good prayers"  
Chase didn't have anything he wanted to pray.
Joy screamed back that she had dibs on "the baby in Mommy's tummy"
Drew pouted that she "ALWAYS gets that one, and it WASN'T FAIR"
Juliet wouldn't take the pacifier out of her mouth or put her lovey down.  (what else is new?)
Chase  just wanted to eat supper and whined about that. 


I offered some other options that they might be interested in praying about. 

"No I don't want to say that stuff!"  proclaimed Joy and Drew.


At this point I wasn't feeling particularly reverent, and proceeded to take the lead and offered up a prayer that I hope (and know) God could read between the lines and my wearied tone.


And then there was silence.   We dined,  the kids had a change of heart and we moved on to the next part of the evening--  Homework!

I love these little people,  but my goodness they surprise me all the time with how, what, where, when and why they will bicker.    Perhaps someday they will be best friends ? ? ?

 Juliet at her "desk"
  A picnic gone wrong, you can see by Joy's face.

4 comments:

Cousin Kristy said...

I would have to say there are far worst things they could be fighting over. I find it quite funny that they fight over what to pray for. Maybe you could have them write things down on pieces of paper and put them in a hat. Everyone draws one out and that is what they get to pray for that night. That seems "Fair" right? Thanks for the chuckle I needed it today. =)

Anonymous said...

Chelle - I just love your blog - and I'm so glad you are saving it all - what a treasure!! Love you! Aunt Marva

fig said...

Always have them pray for the Fig. He has to live with your mother who can worry over the littlest of things. Carbon Monoxide poisoning? Someday your stories to you kids about their fights will all be a great time, even laughing at themselves. You guys do. Fig

Mom H said...

I feel for ya Chelle but it makes me chuckle too. Especially Drew and Joy. They just know how to "get each other's goat"! And it's been from day one!And yet they can play together so well sometimes. It's a love/hate relationship :)This will all make for such great stories someday.
I like Kristy's idea.