Friday, September 16, 2011

O Perfect Love

I remember paging through the white vinyl bound book when I was a young girl.
It had already showed signs of aging even though it was only 10 years old.   As I stared at the photos long enough somehow I felt transported to that day.

The day my parents were married.  40 years ago today.  

I loved looking at her wedding gown,  the 1970s fashion,  the familiar and noticeably younger faces of loved ones that stood next to my blonde haired father and fresh faced mother.  It was beyond interesting to think of my parents as a bride and groom and of a time before I came to be.   It felt special and comforting to me at that young age.  It inspired hopes and dreams of one day being a bride myself.   Turning the pages of that album  I knew not the reality of being a bride and becoming a wife.    Little did I understand that the wedding is a day,  the marriage is a lifetime.

Now I understand as my own marriage is nearly 15 years in.  Today we celebrate 40 years of God's faithfulness to a couple of 19 year olds,  who  made a commitment to love and to cherish.   My parents have a great story to tell.  Stories of blessing,  stories of struggle,  stories of God's work and His guidance,  when the path was unclear.    Isn't that what it is all about?   Going on faith and love into a future unknown?   Their union has inspired me all of my days to live and love as they have.   Give and serve as they do,   trust and find contentment in every circumstance. 

I type with tear filled eyes at the wild blessings they are to us and so many others.

We Love You Mom and Dad!
Happy 40th Anniversary!




O perfect Love, all human thought transcending,
Lowly we kneel in prayer before Thy throne,
That theirs may be the love which knows no ending,
Whom Thou forevermore dost join in one.


3 comments:

Triplet Mom said...

Amen! :)

Jamie said...

Such a cute photo! Love Jude and the Fig! They are an awesome example of what a great marriage looks like.

Mom H said...

Oh, Chelle,thankyou so much for your kind,loving words for your Dad and me.(you know when you posted this my keyboard was locked :( Little did I know the thoughts and feelings you had about our wedding as a young girl. It's good to hear this now but it's even more heart warming to hear what you've observed about us over the years and how you feel about our marriage. Your dad and I are far from perfect and neither is our marriage, but if our children have seen some good things that they desire in their own marriages then by God's grace and help we've passed on something that they can pass on to our grandchildren.Thanks again for expressing you feelings and love in such a special way. You have a gift for it that I wish I had. Love you,Mom