Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Why pay more? Only if you have your own pen.

Soap Box Alert.

So I was grocery shopping at my local Meijer the other day filling the cart with random necessities when the most ridiculous thing happened.

I had successfully unloaded and loaded my groceries to and back into my cart. (no baggers at Meijer) I reach into my wallet and decided to write a good old fashioned check to pay my bill. You see, I did not have my debit card on me and I was not willing to charge my groceries.

Here is where the weirdness began.

My purse was ink pen-less and I asked the young cashier to borrow a pen.
This is what he said:

"uhhh, I don't have one." (he stands there and stares back at me)
"yeah, us cashiers are supposed to supply our own pens. People keep stealin' mine and I don't feel like buying them all the time." (Still he has not moved a muscle)

I said, "Well, you're gonna have to find me one if you want me to pay for my stuff, right?"
He said, "uh, OK."

As I am writing out my check, I say to him,
"This just might be the end of me shopping at Meijer."

He says, "You don't like it here?"
"No, I really don't like huge stores." I replied
He says, "Yeah, I hate it here." (He resumes just standing and staring)
He ends with "Uh, here's you receipt"

Employee of the Month he ain't.
It was just annoying on so many levels.

19 comments:

tami said...

Meijer has the worst customer service of all time, but I am to cheap to go to Family Fare.

Anonymous said...

I cant believe they have to supply their own pens...How weird!

Laurie said...

This story would be categorized as "sad but true". Just went there last night and as we hunted for something we stopped two Meijer employees who were, let's just say, less than helpful.

Come on Fred! Light a fire under your employees.

Anonymous said...

Meijers will never compare to Walmart - in prices or in customer service.

Anonymous said...

Do you want fries with that?

Michelle said...

yes, please.

Triplet Mom said...

Chelle, your list of stores to ban is getting long! Way to be an activist for good customer service though. I currently ban Caledonia Hardware for their terrible customer service to me. Long story.

Michelle said...

Oh man, usually the Mom and Pop places are the best. I have been putting so many retailers on my black list lately, Soon I will have nowhere to shop.

Anonymous said...

You know that the cashier can run your blank check thru a little machine and it prints everything out for you, all you have to do is sign it.
Can't stand Walmart-always busy and always trashed!!!

Anonymous said...

Walmart is the only store that all the handicap parking spaces are filled!!!

Anonymous said...

I will only shop at a fantastic little place called Professional Pharmacy. The customer service is amazing, especially e-boy. If you can't find it at Professional Pharmacy you don't need it.

MiniMe Mom said...

Don't even get me started on Meijers! (or Walmart)

I was overcharged and asked for a refund (okay, so it was only sixty cents, but it was MY sixty cents. It was more of a point than anything else) and the cashier actually rolled her eyes and gave a little grunt.

We have a love-hate relationship. They love my money, I hate to give it to them based on my shopping experience.

Anonymous said...

Triplet-mom it is not where you shop but who you are. I just ask Bob or Jim for help and they jump to it. (well not Bob, he is in a wheelchair) Caledonia Hwde is sweet. Just drop my name next time you are there.

tami said...

I have to disagree with the satisfied customer. All the product I have received from Professional Pharmacy have been lacking.

Maybe if I was sent something fresh and of good use I might be persuaded to change my mind.

Anonymous said...

Any place where you have union employees, you will have awful service.

Triplet Mom said...

Yes, I give props to Bob. It was some other guy who gave me a hassle. Just to clarify.

Old School said...

I love Walmart, I am the thinnest person there, by far!!!

Anonymous said...

i really dislike meijer too. the one in jenison has the cashier bag your groceries but they throw everything into as few bags as possible so everything falls out in the car! drives me nuts!! i work in customer service so i understand dealing with people day in and day out but if i acted like the employees of meijer acted, i would be out of a job! seriously,what is wrong with people! i guess they think since their lives suck, they might as well as make the rest of ours crappy too!

Katie said...

OK so I am a little late, but you know if you write a post on big companies you hate I am going to have to mention the worlds most evil company ever - SBC or AT&T whatever they are now. It makes my blood boil just thinking about them or seeing their little trucks driving around - ugh!!!