Friday, December 21, 2007

Favorite Ornaments

As my siblings will attest, as youngsters we had a little competition regarding a certain Christmas ornament on our family tree.

It was a beautiful glass (or was it plastic?) ornament that had a Nativity scene etched in of Mary, Joseph and the infant Jesus. It is transparent and in the shape of an octagon. It had to be hung strategically in front of a tree light to look it's best.

Each year it was the coveted ornament to hang on the tree. I, being the eldest would usually go to certain lengths in making sure I was the one to hang it. My best effort was the year I dug it out of the huge box of Christmas decor many weeks prior to the tree trimming. Oh Yes! You should have seen their faces.

I asked my kids to pick out their favorite ornaments from our tree and to explain why.

"I like this 'cuz I like it"
"uh, because I like the pictures"
"This ornament reminds me about Buddy"

This is my favorite on our tree. It's a cozy, little pillow ornament. I'm not sure of it's origin, Did you make it, Mom?

What's your favorite?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, Joy likes it becuase it is pink

Anyone else find it odd that Andrew is shirtless? And Chelle give me gried for wearing shorts and a T-Shirt in MY house!

And...You Hopkins kids were BIZZARRE!

Anonymous said...

My favorite ones are three sleds made out of popsicle sticks. They were made by Grandma & Grandpa Hopkins and have all the three kids names on them.

This year Noah helped us decorate the tree and they are all right in a row in one branch.
Nice effect...

Old School said...

I got a squirrel in my tree this year

You know why its my favoritye

SQUIRELLL!!!!!!

Triplet Mom said...

My favorite ornaments were the gingerbread man & woman that Aunt Patty gave mom. They always smelled of cinnamon... now they smell like mold!

Anonymous said...

I don't the pillow type ornament was made by me. I had one somewhat like it at one time. My favorites are the picture frame ones with all my kids and grandkids and of course the "Picker" one. You remember?

denise said...

It's difficult to pick a favorite ornament. They are all special for different reasons. First of all, I have the ones from 30 some years ago on my first very own Christmas tree that was a fake, 2 foot table top tree. We could only fit a couple ornaments on it but they were special. Then there are the ones that bring back memories of places we've been, things we enjoy doing and ones that mark special events in our lives. But, my favorites are the ones either hand made by my children or grandchildren or include photos of them. Every year it is fun to take them back out and reminisce of God's goodness over the years. Love Mom