Monday, May 11, 2009

Growing Up and Moving Out.

I don't care what you say, somehow the baby of the family has a different experience than that of her predecessors.

Juliet Lynne, moved from her rolling hospital cart/crib to her crib in the corner of our bedroom when she was 3 days old. At the time it was prudent to keep her in our room as to not disturb the older kids with her middle of the night crying and feedings. Each and every night we gazed upon her as she slept. We listened to her little baby sounds and toots while we fell asleep.

She was such a good baby, sleeping through the night at 7 weeks; she was cozy in that corner as weeks turned into months. We would often ask ourselves why she was still in our room. Why hadn't we moved her to share the Pepto-Bismol pink bedroom of Joy's?

Perhaps we were lazy?
Maybe we were still afeared of a middle of the night crying episode that would wake up Joy too?
Why was it that every time the move was mentioned Dan answered me with a solid "not yet"

I set a deadline for the big move. Her first birthday.
It came, it passed. She was still snoring in the corner.

And then, suddenly last weekend I decided it was time. I was already in a crabby place so moving her out did not have the emotional undertone that I thought it might.

Her daddy was a different story.

It is no big secret that Dan was a bit uninterested in having a 4th child. When I told him I was pregnant way back then, he gave me more than one scowling face and quickly concocted a story about how I "tricked" him.
Oh. Brother.

Oh, his feelings how they changed the moment he placed her in her crib for the first time.

He was at that point--
Wrapped.
Around.
Her Finger.

The move is complete. And Joy could not be happier.


7 comments:

tami said...

I just wish there was another room for Parker to move in to. The poor little guy has to sleep in his pack and play, no room for the crib.

Triplet Mom said...

I thought you would wait until she could share the bed with Joy! Well done - Sadly, it was time.

Michelle said...

You had me laughing and crying with this post. Our babies grew up just a little too fast! Dan's faces are priceless!

MiniMe Mom said...

So nice of you to put such flattering pictures of Dan up :-)

That is sad. But, you have to make way for Dieleman #5--I figure since Nat is pregnant, it is time for you guys to start thinking about it, right?

natalie said...

i'm impressed she shared your room for so long! sadly, you now have stellas pack and play in your bedroom :)
i'm with jamie...make way for #5! we had a pact girls!!!

Grandma H said...

Yes, it was time but it's always difficult to say goodbye to a precious time in your baby's life. I'm glad Joy's lov'in it and it's working out so well. It's OK Danny.

Katie said...

She definitely has him wrapped around her finger. I have to come and see the setup yet.

I'm listening to the "Pepto-Bismol pink" room as I write :) I suppose I could turn that off now