Friday, May 08, 2009

high hopes for wood, plastic, and just the right amount of lead.

The pinnacle event of the year; the Pinewood Derby Race.

His first handcrafted derby car of which he was very proud.

We gathered up the family, found our seats, and waited for the race to begin. Triple elimination was the rule so we were hopeful that we would see our precious young son win a few, lose a few.

Although I have a younger brother and a father that were involved in many a Pinewood Derby Race back in the day, I never paid any attention. I did not know the speed at which those little wooden cars zoomed by. I did not know that the older kids tend to win. I did not know that it would take 2 hours and church coffee would be served.

Having no experience with this type of event, I never though that our boy's car would be first up, first to lose a raise, and in time. . . first to be thrice eliminated.
Alphabetically and mathematically I can account for the finish of his little orange car, but emotionally I just wanted the young fella to win a race, ya know?

My loving mother hen moment was duplicated by our son Drew who was so saddened that his Big brother didn't win. He was concerned the entire evening about what would happen if Chase did not win the entire event. On a side note, I LOVE that Drew thinks Chase hung the moon, I also wonder how long that feeling will last.

We were proud that Chase had fun, that he did not seem to be devastated at the loss(es). In fact he stayed at the finish line and watched every last car race down the ramp.

A fun night indeed; however, I am taking tips and tricks for increased velocity.

4 comments:

Old News said...

Wasn't this about 1 month ago? Are you that hurting for good material?

fig said...

Oh, being there sure brought back memories! I was glad Dan was there to share in the event. I am sorry to say that I missed Ross' first attempt with his pinewood derby car. He did however, with a little help from "Uncle Doug" win a few trophies. I was proud of Chase and the way he took defeat. I, on the other hand was ready to smash all the other cars so he could win. Competative?

Grandma Fig said...

It was truly a fun night and I too was proud of Chase's attitude. I wish I had been at Ross' derby but maybe it wasn't billed as such a family event back then.

Kristy said...

this was Noah's 2nd year entering in the Pinewood Derby. Last year he proudly accepted his participation trophy. His car design an Army Tank (why I do not know, tanks are not suppose to go fast) But proud he was. This year Speed Racer's Mach 5, fast, 2nd in his age group,trophy and all, but what I believe is the most important was that he won Best in Show. It is all about looks for me, not speed. Every year it will get a little better and just as you said the older kids win. Good Luck!!