Saturday, May 23, 2009

With this 42 Dollar Ring, I Thee Wed.

Well, looky here, a few candid pix from May 23, 1997

My husband did not marry me for my money. Or my money saving abilities for that matter.

He first learned I was broke when I asked him for money to buy school books. He might have scratched his head a bit when I bought him an el-cheapo wedding ring from Witmark.

Perhaps he wondered why I had this, that, and the other credit card in my wallet while he had 2 or 3 paychecks sitting on his dresser collecting dust.

We laugh when we think about it. Just how unprepared I was to take on the responsibility of marriage, homekeeping, budgeting. You see, Dan and I decided that I would pay the bills, goto the bank, pretty much make sure we survived, financially speaking. If Dan never took the time to even go to the bank and deposit his paycheck, how would he ever remember to pay bills on time, right? I guess I was the obvious choice for the chief financial officer. And how well did I handle this? By delighting the Rainbow Vacuum salesman that showed up to our newlywed home and buying a Rainbow, of course.

Getting to the point. Our marriage was a leap of faith and trust. In each other, in our future and in God. Dan knew I was not the most frugal money manager in town, but he trusted, (trusts) me with it. I knew that he would work, and work a lot, so I have to try every week to be mindful of his physical and mental exhaustion level and not push him to do much in the home.

Of course we are not perfect, of course we fail, and often.

Of course we are different people than we were in 1997.

Of course he has wanted to duct tape my mouth closed at times, and me want to make him sleep on the sofa.

But God has preserved our love, and for that I am so thankful.
Happy 12th Anniversary Dan!

May our marriage and the Rainbow vacuum last a lifetime!

enjoy a few old pix. one for each year we've been Dan & Chelle


1995 and so in love.

Dan's first coat and tie. 1996

From this day forward 1997

1998 Steve and Dana's wedding

1999 Expecting Chase.

2000, Our firstborn son

2001 Awaiting # 2 (What is going on with my hair?!)


2002 Are we having fun yet?

2003 dreaming of # 3


Joy's Baptism Day 2004 (what is going on with Dan's hair!?)

2005 Everyone smile!


2006 summer daze.


NYC for our 10th anniversary

2007 The quiver is getting full.

2008 Juliet is here!

Christmas 2008

2009 Dan's face says it all.


Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!
1 Corinthians 9:15








8 comments:

Katie said...

Happy anniversary guys! I love the picture of Dan holding his ring and of course I had a little laugh about his hair in Joy's baptism pict :) Hope you have many more wonderful years together across the drive!

Anonymous said...

very cool pics. i think my fave is the 1995 one. why anyone ever decided that girls should wear big plaid shirts i will never understand. congrats on 12 years and before you know it you will be like al and wilma tiemeyer in church today and be having your 62nd anniversary!!

-amanda

Danno said...

Thanks hon for the kind words! I still love you as much as i did 12 years ago even when you have had some pretty messed up hair, crazy orthodontics, Facial reconstruction, and some risky book keeping. And even though I don't have 3 or 4 paychecks...or even 1... just sitting on my dresser, Im very thankful for all that you have done in keeping our household together. GAY ALERT... Your my best friend and a great wife, And i dont know how I can do it without you! So if you could please look past my huge forehead and all of my bad habits i will be honored to do another 12! (We will see where we are after that :)

natalie said...

happy anniversary! I hope you were able to get out and celebrate! I love the pictures....they are so fun to look back at. Love the overalls in the picture with Chase....we may have to bring back that trend :)

Mom H said...

Oh Chelle,you two started off much the same as your dad and I did. His wedding band cost $13.00 at Rogers Dist (a place much like Whitmark).He did not marry me for my money either and we were only 19!! But we were in love and only by committment and the grace of God and laughing together and at each other we are more in love today.You are a beautiful couple with a beautiful family! Happy 12th anniversary.I love your words of tribute to each other.

fig said...

The year 2004. Dan's hair looks like Spock, but Chelles hair is awesome. Let's all get back to the Farah Fawcett look. It doesn't get any better than long, feathered hair.

Laurie said...

I just caught up on your blog and love the post about your baby and your anniversary! And may I just say (since you so bravely shared so many photos) you have gotten more beautiful and your hair has seriously improved as you've aged. :)

Beautiful family.

MiniMe Mom said...

Wow, Dan. That was sweet.

Fun looking through the years and how your family has changed.

2010 The fifth Dielman baby is born? Come on- you know you want to.