Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Shrinking the Circle.

I enjoy watching the new TV show -- The Middle.   Some of the truths in an episode usually make me chuckle.  Being middle class in the midwest is somewhat of a unique existence.   Unique, and often bizarre to those who didn't grow up here,  or haven't visited it for an extended amount of time.     We have our own way ( much unbeknownst to ourselves) about doing just about everything.     That could be a blog post in and of itself.     Let me suffice it to say, that   compared to the other pockets of the USA,  the middle is more than just  geography.   

Many of us are born, raised, and remain in the middle.    This isn't necessarily a bad thing.   Famiiies/friends that live close to one another have a certain advantage when it comes to being involved in each others lives.   If you share a driveway with your parents,  you will  know them,  and they you.     If you live 2000 miles apart,  time together is much more of a challenge.   If you have had the same friend since you were toddlers, and now the two of you have toddlers who are friends,  there is amazing blessing in that.    I will never argue that God  does great things right where we are.   But are we just a titch too cozy?   Is all the overlap between school, church, work, hobbies, family-- shrinking the circle?

Do we want our circle to expand?   Do we even see the need for our circle to expand?   

It doesn't matter where you live,  urban, rural, suburban, west coast, midwest, east coast,  Canada.   The question i ask myself and you,  are we increasing our territory, or is the circle shrinking?

Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, "Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain." And God granted his request" (1 Chronicles 4:9-10).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Canada Michelle, Canada?????

MiniMe Mom said...

Good post. You know me, I have lots of opinions on this one.

I never mind the circle being cozy. However, I do mind the circle being so cozy there is no room for people outside to be a part of it. I am not sure most realize how hard it is to be a part of a community where everyone has known each other since diapers.

I feel like we have been welcomed with open arms, but I know of a few others who have complained that "CRC people are not friendly or welcoming".

It is our call to invite people into our community and expand the kingdom, and how can we do that if we never encounter non-CRC people?

OK, stepping off my soapbox now:-)