Sunday, February 07, 2010

One Dollar Well Spent.

I  don't  credit destiny,  luck,  fate or any other foolish rationale for what I learned about my future that day in the church bathroom.

I believe in God's Providence.  

I trust his Provision.

I stand,  I stand in awe of Him.


A few weeks back,   on a chilly January day I thought I needed an answer.    We had prayed for an answer,   to a question,  THE question Dan and I had been asking ourselves and God for many months.  

It  seemed to me that  some other couples had an easy time knowing when their quiver was full.    I envied their decisiveness.    Why,  were we so reluctant to call our family complete?  

The TFR (total fertility rate) for Americans is 2.09 in 2006.  
That puts us at 1.91 more kids than the national average.   

Oh, and let's not forget,  the economy is in the toilet,    the pressures of a single income home,   feeling real parental inadequacies.

( I need to insert that I am not complaining here,  just stating the facts.)

Back to what I learned in the church bathroom.   That January day started with a nagging feeling that only a pregnancy test could quiet.    I decided to goto the local Dollar General and buy the cheapest one there.   One dollar later and I was on my way.   I thought I might wait until the next morning but somehow a minute later I was in the bathroom at my church  which was right next to the Dollar store,  with my screaming 1 1/2 year old.   I stared in somewhat disbelief as one line turned to two.     

One dollar had just changed our lives.

Okay,  the question begs to be asked...  Why, another child?  

Because God has given us one.
I've been  reading this verse to find truth and inspiration.

Psalm 127:3-5 (The Message)

3-5 Don't you see that children are God's best gift?
      the fruit of the womb his generous legacy?
   Like a warrior's fistful of arrows
      are the children of a vigorous youth.
   Oh, how blessed are you parents,
      with your quivers full of children!
   Your enemies don't stand a chance against you;
      you'll sweep them right off your doorstep.



We accept this gift and pray for continued health, strength and development of the baby.  

9 comments:

MikeandLynette said...

Congrats. How exciting. Once you have 4, what's one more, right ;)

Anonymous said...

that is awesome, chelle! congrats:)

-amanda

Triplet Mom said...

I don't know about you... but I sure am enjoying this news! Yay!

Mom H said...

Dan & Chelle I don't have to tell you again how happy and blessed we feel but I will. There may have been a time in the not so distant past when my worry and concern for you guys would have taken a front seat to my joy. But thankfully God has done a work in me to realize in a fresh new way what a precious gift children and grandchildren are!!Praise God from Whom all blessings flow! Love Mom

fig said...

I like arrows!

Denise Dieleman said...

We are so excited and feel so blessed! Can't wait to see you floating in the pool this summer. Life is good and you two are very capable parents. God is good.

Aunt Marva said...

We are SO happy for you - you are awesome parents and as you know, big families are lots of fun! Blessings to all of you!!

natalie said...

Congratulations! We are so happy for you guys. Just think, we will have a combined 10 kids when we get together to play now :)

Laurie said...

As a number five kid, may I just say ... way to go crazy lady. :)