Friday, March 18, 2011

Flashback Friday/ Our Big kid is 11 !!

Eleven years ago Dan and I were just youngsters --  I mean really,  quite young  at 23 and 24 !!  We were anticipating the birth of our first child.  It was one of the most precious times in our life so far.  I love to witness people waiting for their first child to arrive.  With great expectation they do not yet know what an almost sacred moment they will soon experience!!

We did not know if were about to meet a boy or a girl,  but in my heart I just knew I would have a boy.  I had always kind of wanted a big brother to lead the way and I dreamed that my future daughters would benefit from that.   I guess that reality is yet to be determined. Yes, they have older brothers-- but will they appreciate that?

Boy oh, boy what a difference it is being pregnant @ 35!   I won't go into all the reasons for I don't want this to read like a complaint list.  I certainly am not complaining about my current state,  but this ol' uterus ain't what it used to be!  Ha HA!

So for this Flashback,   a few photos from expecting Chase.  How I treasured the last 11 years and roughly 207 weeks of carrying our babies! 

March 2000  38 weeks and waiting to meet our firstborn--Chase!
 back when maternity shirts were long enough and resembled tents.
A few more funnies from labor and delivery...

Dan was pretty tired out from all the labor I was doing! We still laugh about this!

Wow,  after 12 hours of true labor,  He was here and I was a Mom.  

Since I'm on the feeling train,  I'll ride it a bit longer...
Chase has been a blessing beyond measure with his calm disposition and generally pleasing attitude.   I am not naive enough to think that we are not on the verge of big change for him as he enters the ~~shudder~~   'tween years.

But today on this 11th birthday, I bring God praise for all that He has made him and all Chase will become.    Time to buckle our seatbelts!!!!    If only figuratively for 4 more years!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i remember coming to visit you with stacey shortly after he was born at your house on 68th street. i really, really, CANNOT believe it was 11 years ago!!! did you notice that you are holding on to the cake spatula in that first picture? making sure no one else gets to the cake first, right? i hope baby #6 gets here soon and safely. i always look forward to your blog posts:)

-amanda

kristy said...

Wow, 11 years already, where has time gone? I can not believe that our boys are entering into the "awkward years". And I can not even imagine having another baby, like you, with an 11 year old. Granted I have not had any kids over the last 11 like you, but still. Before we know it they will be driving and dating, I shudder at the thought. Happy Birthday Chase!!!!

Mom H said...

It truly does not seem like 11 years ago that you and Dan sat at our house playing a game as we (me & Dan) timed your contractions.Chase, our first grandchild, is such a precious young boy! Happy Birthday Chase!!Hope you had a great day and are having fun with your friend Macky over.
The birth of each child is such a sweet memory but the first time you realize you are holding your own child is a feeling you never forget. I think I'll iron for several hours tomorrow morning to commemorate waiting for your call to announce Chase's arrival :0)Don't do something like that to me this time, ok? Ha!

natalie said...

Happy Birthday to Chase! Amazing how quickly 11 years seem to fly by. I remember those early Dutton days like yesterday! Remember walking, and how Chase was obsessed with the wheels on the stroller?

Can't wait to meet the baby. Hang in there!