Friday, April 15, 2011

9 years. 3 years. 1 year.

April 15.

Nine years ago today, God gave unto Dan and I,  a precious son.   
Andrew. 

He came into this world with a bang, as he nearly entered the world in the back of our mini-van!  At nine years old he delights us with his energy,  and his unyielding devotion to his big brother.   He is easily brought to tears and is sensitive.   This sensitivity is an asset because it helps him to see when others are hurting or rejoicing.   He is the self proclaimed "best goalie on his soccer team" and still likes to sleep with his "dee-tee".  The perfect blend of innocence and confidence.   Drew, Dewey, Double D-- by whatever name we call you-- You are a gift!
With a grateful heart,  I celebrate you this day.
 _____________________________________________________________

3 years ago today,   God gave unto Dan and I,  a precious daughter.   

She came into this world smoothly and beautifully.  I had to fight tooth and nail to talk Dan into having a 4th child.   He was done after three.  It didn't take long at all for that little gal to securely wrap Daddy around her finger.   At 3 years of age she is scrappy and animated.  All she needs is a few toys and her favorite TV show Max and Ruby for background noise and she will play the day away.   Her role has recently changed from the baby to big sis  so naturally we are still working out the kinks with that.   Buns,  Bunser, Babe-- by whatever name we call you-- You are a gift!!
With a joyful heart,  I celebrate you today.
_______________________________________________________________

1 year ago today,  God gave unto Dan and I,  our third daughter.  

She came into this world silent and still.   She was already with the One who allowed her conception and knew with Him she would remain.   At 1 year remembered,  we do not know her.  I can't share about her personality or what color were her eyes.   She didn't have the chance to earn her own nickname.   Even so,  she had weight in this world.   Physically speaking she was 3.7 oz.   But my pregnancy,  the short labor and the delivery of her changed our lives.   Our kids will carry her in their hearts always.  I have struggled and learned so much this last year.  I will continue to find meaning ,  not necessarily a neat and tidy explanation of why we could not keep her,  but God's hand in all the events that surrounded her conception and death. 
April, the baby we lost,  our daughter,  our 5th child--by whatever name we call you-- You are a gift!!
With a heavy heart I remember you this day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you today as you celebrate birthdays and remember April. I hope you have a great day!

Jan Vander Ploeg

Jamie said...

Your post brought me to tears! I celebrate with you the sorrow (and joy) of this last year and the wonderful gift of Dewey and Juliet. I wish I could have gotten to know April as well.

Love you and praying for you today!

natalie said...

It was good to see you this morning. Happy Birthday to your kiddos! Praying for you on this day as you both celebrate and remember. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

i have been thinking of you all this week chelle. i hope you are able to smile a lot on this day even with the sadness you must feel. naomi is just the cutest thing ever!

-amanda

mom H said...

Oh Chelle, I can hardly believe a year has passed since that day we all experienced the sorrow of April's still birth and the joy of Drew & Juliet's birthday. So many memories of that day will be etched in my mind forever. You know that I was thinking of and praying for you yesterday. And now we have precious Naomi! It's just hard to believe sometimes. God is so good and faithful. Love you!