Tuesday, May 27, 2008

what is the shelf life on this thing?

Last week Dan and I observed 11 years of marriage. I say observed, because we are yet to really celebrate the event. Maybe this is what happens when you have a newborn in the house not to mention sharing a room with you. Last year was the big one, this year is markedly different, but in a wonderfully, precious way.
As I was putting laundry away I noticed a few things. Many of the items we received as wedding gifts may be nearing the end of their life expectancy. Towels are tattered, thin and stained. Our mattress has a dip in the middle that I find myself rolling into.
Best of all, I still have some of the same socks and underwear!!!!

I remember hearing at many of my Bridal showers that women should be given a shower every 10 years or so to update all the things that need to be replaced. I continued to think about the cost involved in replacing what needs to be fresh and new again. How long do you hold on to towels, pillows, dish rags, vacuums, sheets, etc.? I hate to be wasteful, I really hate throwing away things like clothes, toys, random socks, broken kitchenware. Right now I have a pile 8 tall of jeans/pants that my kids have burned knee holes in. They just sit there because I can't just toss 'em.

Where is this post going anyway?
I am trying to draw a parallel between the shelf life of our wedding gifts and the shelf life of our marriage. I just can't seem to pull it together though. It seems like a great idea for a blog post, but I lack the creative energy to type anything but the obvious.

We outlasted our wedding loot. We beat the statistical odds. We have 4 kids and (so far) are living to tell about it. I don't say these things to boast. It is all about God and His goodness. He has blessed in ways we certainly don't deserve. I need to acknowledge this.
Let there be no expiration date on this union, even when it looks a little moldy. ;)

Happy Anniversary Dan! and also to the many of you celebrating the same this time of year.

9 comments:

Lia said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSRY!

Lia said...

ANNIVERSARY - SORRY FOR THE TYPO

Anonymous said...

First
I want to say I love you!! It's been an interesting and fun ride. You are a great mom and wife!

Second
Can we be done with kids!!

Love ya, Danno

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary!

And Danno..

Give me a call when you are ready. I have guy...

tami said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!! We are celebrating 13 next week.

Maybe Danno and Rob can get a two for one special because we are done with kids.

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Anniversary....I thought of you two and meant to call but it got busy....bad excuse but it's the truth. :)

Hope you are blessed with many more.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!! again. Hope you can celebrate soon .I'll babysit if needed. The Lord has blessed you greatly and with you,us.

Laurie said...

Like your hubby's comment. It's definitely honest!

Happy Anniversary. We're one year ahead of you as we celebrate 12 years next week. (Last year Jeff was out of town for a boys golf weekend over our anniversary ... let's just say ... that's not happening again this year!) :)