Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Father's Day (observed)

Today I decided to observe Father's Day on my blog.
I was inspired by the action of my husband on Sunday evening, the actual Father's Day.

After a long day and night of celebration our boys were rather strung out.
Our goal upon arriving home was to get them in bed ASAP. Their goal was to read books and stay up. An honorable goal really, reading books as a stalling technique. Dan would have nothing to do with it. He told them in a not so nice way that it was TIME TO GOTO BED!!!

Crying, sobbing, and thrashing ensued.

The next thing I saw was my tired, annoyed, and frustrated husband laboring up the steps.
"Happy Father's Day", I thought.

A few moments passed and with his head resting on his hand, Dan realized he was too harsh (unkind) toward the boys and he didn't want them to go to sleep with all this anger on both sides.

He went back down to their room to talk with them calmly and settle things down.
"That is what makes him a good dad." I thought
"That is what make make you a good dad." I told him.

Both Dan & I had fathers that were not dictators. They were the head of the home and to be obeyed, but they also knew they were not perfect and at times needed to offer an apology or mend a broken fence. I am so thankful for the example of strength and humility that my children see in their father. It is the same example I saw in my Dad growing up.

What is it they say about girls marrying someone just like their Daddy? May that be true.


My Dad & I in 1977



My hard working and very tired husband with his little girl last week.
(i hope I don't get in trouble for posting this one) :)


11 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy belated Father's Day, Danno!!

I like the new family pic on the blog. ;o)

Anonymous said...

Attaboy Dan, it takes a real man to do what you did. I am sure I would not have read a book to my kids at that point, maybe watch a video - but not a book. (Sorry Chelle).

Anonymous said...

Can you believe that Fig was once that young? He looks like a little kid....

Anonymous said...

Dan is sweet. Gotta respect the bareback on the leather couch photo! See, that stuff doesn't bother us because we're too furry to stick to it.

Anonymous said...

so true Braaaaad!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes Chelle, you do have an awesome Dad.You look so cute in the pic and your Dad, well,I thought he looked cute back then but now it looks a little sketchy to me.But he turned out to be quite handsome don't you think.Danny,you are an awesome dad too in so many ways.But of course I have to express a little concern about how you are holding Juliet so close to the edge of the couch and YOU ARE SOUND ASLEEP!!! Love Ya though.

Anonymous said...

Oh Jude, put your worries in a Ziploc

denise said...

Dan, you are a wonderful father to all your blessings. It's been fun watching you grow over the years and to see how patient and tender you are. No matter how tired you are, you seem to find special time to spend with your kids.

I love Jude's comment! It looked to me like you had a pretty good hold on Juliet - I don't think she was going anywhere!
Love you, Mom D

Anonymous said...

Nothing feels better against the hair on my back than some fine corinthian leather

Anonymous said...

Eww.

Marva's "Marvalous" Memories said...

Too cute!! Juliet looks wide awake - hopefully Dan didn't drop her!!