Sunday, June 08, 2008

the iGeneration.


"We can go to Pizza.com." says my 4 year old daughter while riding along in the minivan and perusing a mailed advertisement for some pizza chain.

"What will you do at Pizza.com?" I asked her.

"We can play like games." she replied.

Oh my.

What a difference just one generation makes. I am not really that old, not even middle aged, but I did not grow up with the internet and home computers. According to some information I have read, the Internet Generation started with those born around 1993. So really, Joy is at the tail end of this generation.

Not only does my 4 year old know what a dotcom is, she can click her way around a WebKinz World like nobody's business. I'm not even sure that her daddy could do as well as she.
Sorry, Danno.
I am amazed how the internet has changed the way I do day to day things. I don't posess a phone book, I just search online for a particular phone number. Don't know where my destination is when I hop in the minivan? Just print out Mapquest driving directions.
Banking and Bills? Online. News and weather? Online, no time to sit and watch the news on TV. Shopping? Once again, the ol' internet comes through for me with free shipping offers. How can I not mention blogging and Facebook? This can be a lifeline for friends and family that live far away.

I used to think I was born in the wrong generation. I foolishly thought that life was easier and simpler for those who were born a generation or two before me. I may have been wrong. I don't think that the Baby Boomers could order Pizza, pay for it, and have it delivered with only a few clicks of a mouse. No phone, cash, or car required. How ever did they survive??

7 comments:

Old School said...

And I never have to call anyone on the phone or talk to anyone face to face, just blog, e mail, or text

Or would that be considered a bad thing?

Anonymous said...

Wow! You have a 4 yr old and are still in high school?

Anonymous said...

My restaurant rules!
If I offer internet service can I be as cool as iPods, iPhones and iMacs?

Anonymous said...

When I can order a pizza on line and have it pop out of the screen on my desk, then I will be happy.

denise said...

so true! Now I just need to get on the ball and update my blog once again! If only I had a mac...

Anonymous said...

Technology worked good for Will Smith

Marc said...

Anything is possible at ZomboCom