Saturday, July 12, 2008

nights to remember






If there is anything I will not forget about the births of my babies, it is my time in the hospital. After an uncomplicated birth the postpartum time spent in the hospital is very precious. Call me crazy, but I love hospital food, hospital showers, and hospital beds. I understand that I probably enjoy these things due to the extremely short term basis that I have to experience them. At about the mid-point of my pregnancy I began to get really excited for my hospital admission.

Nurses took care of me and the baby, food that I choose from a menu--delivered to my bedside. Visitors come to welcome our little one. Cable television and internet access. Solace from whining, cleaning, and meal prep, if only for two days.

Call me crazy, but the best part of all , for me, about staying in the hospital is the middle of the night. Completely exhausted, the pain of labor and delivery still fresh, I lay there wide awake at 3am just recalling the days events. Thanking and praising God for this new life and at the same time feeling so undeserving of such a gift.

I tell myself to "goto sleep, the baby is in the nursery, you need to rest."

I watch the clock tick away and dream about what life will be like with the newborn at home. Again, I praise and pray to God as if my heart just might burst with gratitude for this little life. The hospital room is so dark and quiet, and I am feeling so comfortable sleeping without a giant belly.

"Hurry up and goto sleep" I tell myself again.

Just as I drift off to sleep I hear the sound of my baby crying. I find it amazing that after only knowing my newborn for not even a full day I recognize that cry as my child's. The cry gets louder and closer and soon the nurse wheels in that plastic cart containing my precious one and I can't get a hold on him/her fast enough. It almost felt like time stood still, and I never want to forget those precious moments. Life certainly does not stop and once you leave the hospital walls, it hauls along quicker than most would like.

just a few thoughts to share before too much time passes.

check out this food, Dan took this photo:

first visit from the big kids
Daddy and his little girl enjoying the last few minutes before leaving for home.

3 comments:

MiniMe Mom said...

Oh, Chelle, I do too! I really love being in the hospital after birth. Heart bursting with love and praising God for new life, it is one of those moments that pass all too quick.

What I love about it is right before bed, when the hospital is quiet and no one else is in the room except the hubby, just laying in that bed holding my new little one (and listening to Josh snore lOl). Scouring his face to see who he looks like, stroking the baby soft skin, putting his little feet in my hand to wonder in amazement how something so small is functional. It is almost as if times stands still and it is all about the newness of baby. No distractions.

tami said...

It's funny how different people are. I usually can't wait to get home from the hospital. I don't mind the food and I love having the nursery available so I can sleep at night, but otherwise I want to get home and get to adjusting to my new life. I get so antsy and don't feel like the baby is completely mine until I take it home.

Anonymous said...

Chelle, I remember vividly not being able to sleep the night after I gave birth to you. I was so excited I had to walk down to the nursery and just gaze on you in amazement. Then I just sat in the rocker there and nursed you. I must have really felt good. I remember Aunt Patty & Uncle Harvey were my first visitors. They were so happy for us. This made me feel so good. ( They didn't yet know they were going to be blessed by Kristy in a few months) I loved my hospital stays too. Wow, it's amazing how Juliet has changed in 3 mos. She is such a honey!