Thursday, August 21, 2008

"Church. The way you remember it."
















I actually read that nebulous description on a church sign while driving to a doctor's appointment this week.

"hmmmm." I thought.

Interesting tactic.

As I thought more and more about it (I had only the baby with me in the van, allowing me time with my own thoughts for once) My best guess is, by putting that on their church sign they intend to turn folks on to church by tugging at their nostalgia bone (I think it is one of the rib bones) ;) I thought of even more teasers they might put on their sign:

"Come to this church--you can return to the Sunday traditions you knew and loved.

"Fed up with new, modern church-ing? Join us today!!"

"Church, the old school way"

I won't deny putting that "Church. The way you remember it" will in fact attract some people. Some folks (myself included) have warm fuzzy memories of church and the traditions therein.
If one has left the church community, or worshiped elsewhere for a spell, they might find peace and rest in joining such a church in which they feel comfortable.

But...

what if you don't remember church?
what if you remember church as a place of judgement, exclusivity, and legalism?

If that is you, you might not feel at all attracted or invited to come to a Church. The way your remember it. Mission not accomplished.

This post is not meant to be a springboard for a debate on worship style, denominational ties, and tradition. I simply wanted to toss out the thought that if doing church the old way doesn't reach the lost, or the searching, or those hurt, is it really the best way to forge into the future?

Let me be clear. I love my church, I love the important traditions it holds dear, the way I remember it. I also love people. Jesus was about people, reaching them with sometimes untraditional means. I am ready to change some the "ways" of church to keep it alive!

I want my kids and those who may not yet know what church community is all about to be able look back someday and remember how they were touched by God and and His church in a real and eternal way. So they can say with joy "you know what I remember about God's church?"

Grace.
Love.
Acceptance.
Support.
Forgiveness.
Salvation.
Friendship.
Koinonia.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

thanks to Cara for the musical inspiration!!

Dana said...

Mmmmm. delicious post.

tami said...

What a good reminder why both churches are needed. We are definetly a church for the people who don't have more fuzzy feelings about "church the way you remember it". But we couldn't be that church without the help, support and prayers of the other.