Thursday, September 04, 2008

I blinked.


Summer is over, and my baby is 4.5 months old!

Bear with me as I go back and record a few memories once again.
Following Juliet's birth in April I had one goal---Make it through the rest of the school year. Survive sleep deprivation and school craziness ---reach June 15 and I would be golden. School would be completed, baby gal would most likely be sleeping through the night.

Now I am knocking on Sept. 15 and all of that forward hoping is a thing of the past. Call me crazy, but it makes me very sad. I actually miss the teeny tiny-ness of my newborn. I miss the quiet of the middle of the night nursing Juliet. I miss changing her diaper half asleep and laugh remembering the night when I realized I put her diaper on backwards but absolutely left it that way because I didn't want to wake her.

In the rush to get her sleeping through the night I really tried this time to appreciate how precious those first couple of months really are. Spring turned to summer and with it brought her first smiles, laughs, cooing and more. Her older siblings still can't get enough of her. Two days ago she decided to take a pacifier. The first few attempts at giving her a pacifer early on were met with gagging, screaming, and refusal. Today she treats it like an old friend. Are we stupid to give it to her now after all these months without it???
I thank God today for her precious life. For giving me daily strength, patience (sort of), and the ability to enjoy the everyday moments that seem to fly by too quickly.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I miss that teeny tiny baby that connor once was too. I also miss that baby smell, call me weird but it's true.

Katie said...

Its sad how fast they grow up, but yet each stage has its own fun & special things. She's a precious babe!

Anonymous said...

BIG BIRD PIPE!!!!

MiniMe Mom said...

I want both. I love the new-ness of the baby stage, but I love where they are at right now, too.

tami said...

I am glad to hear that you miss the middle of the night thing, that is what I dread the most doing again.

Heather said...

I couldn't agree with your blog post more! The more you try to savor these precious lasts- the faster they seem to go by!
we are going to blink ang our girls will be in school!

Marva's "Marvalous" Memories said...

I am one of those that loves the teeny-tiny stage too. I love them all, but there's just something so special about that cuddly, snuggly, huggable-ness that nothing else can match. Juliet is just adorable!!! Love ya! Aunt Marva