Thursday, September 25, 2008

lunch lady

Every so often when I am performing a particularly momish task (in this case, packing my boys' lunch box) I stop and reflect.

I try to imagine some 25 years ago. I picture in my mind my mother packing my lunch in my metal, not plastic Annie lunch box. I remember the PBJ or bologna sandwiches, the Little Debbie snack, the obligatory piece of fruit that may or may not have gone into the school trash. My unassuming mother probably thought we actually ate that fruit. I did not want to disappoint her by bringing it back home.
25 years later my boys do not have the same consideration. For the last two mornings when I open up their lunch boxes I found unopened yogurt, warm grapes and string cheese.

When I ask them why they didn't eat it and left it to rot,
they almost always reply:
"I forgot"

So, they remembered to eat the sweet goodie and the sandwich but it completely slipped their mind that there was also something healthy to partake?

Riiiiiight.

On to Hot Lunch. A certain sense of excitement is in the air on Tuesday and Thursday, for these are the days the boys get to have hot lunch. Pizza and rubbery chicken nuggets. What's not to love? I guess it beats the boiled hot dogs and doughnuts from my Hot lunch days

Some things never change. In a weird way it comforts me to know that 2 generations later kids still bypass the fruit and drink chocolate milk out of little cartons.

God is Great and God is Good. Let us Thank Him for this Food.
By His Hands we all are Fed, Thank You Lord for Daily Bread!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hoagies and Grinders, Sloppy Joe

natalie said...

oh michelle, that made me laugh... making lunches this morning i also pulled out yesterdays grapes and yogurt:) my kids always use the "not enough time" excuse.

Unknown said...

I have the exact same thing at my house. Last week, Brendan's whole lunch came home except for a rice krispie treat. I should have sent the lunch back to school the next day, but then I would hear what a bad mom I am again LOL

Anonymous said...

Don't you know? You can't trade fruit for anything. Chocolate is like gold, you could get a steak dinner for it at school. Any kind of chips are very valuable. My routine in grade school was to eat my chips at first break. Eat my PB and J at lunch and savor the Little Debbie and chuck the rest. I would beat kids up for a candy bar.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, forgot how to blog. Fig

joan b. said...

Maybe you could try sandwiches from our era, the 50s - brown sugar sandwiches and fried egg sandwiches. Yummy!