Friday, April 03, 2009

Down on the Farm Part 2

A few days back, I spoke of things like chickens, childhood, and chore boots. 

Recently Dan informed me of his latest and not so greatest idea.   

Chickens. 

He wanted to buy young chicks,  build them a coop, and enjoy the bountiful fresh eggs.

I tend to be the boss around here (there, I said it) and having a family of poultry did not seem like something I needed to spend any energy on.    Dan was unusually excited about this idea,  he spent hours on the internet researching,  reading, envisioning how this situation would go down.   He did present me with many fine arguments and so,   I said OK.    

Honestly,  I think he would have had done it anyway without my go ahead,  but my husband loves me and knows me enough to let me think that I was the say-so in this situation,  thus allowing me to keep my title of "the boss"

With chickens purchased (from just down the street)  we are now the owners of  Big Wally, Cutie, Elizabeth, Lightening, and Double D.   Yes,  they have even named them.

My gradual attitude change came about as  I the saw the delight on the face of my family.  The kids spent an entire dinner discussion talking about the coop and how they probably would not eat the brown eggs.   Like Dan likes to say,  that dinner conversation alone was worth the 10 bucks it cost to buy our feathered little friends.

So here we are, at the beginning of another kind of adventure.   I hope it turns out to be an educational experience for the kids,  and that we don't stink up the hill too much.   

Coming soon to a refrigerator near you. . .   eggs.




12 comments:

Lia Leenstra said...

lookin good

Grandma H said...

Love the slide show! Protect those young chicken lives now. Another thing for grandma to worry about.Not the chickens so much but the broken hearts which may follow.

Unknown said...

Does Dan need some steak with those eggs? I know where you could get a couple calves to add to Hilltop Farms? LOL :)

Triplet Mom said...

put a sign on that coop that says, "In Memory of Fred"

braaaaaaaaad said...

Grandma need to not worry so much. Kids need to learn disappointment or they will never be able to function as adults! Then they'll join the @#$#@$ democratic party!

Katie said...

Well I'm glad Dan got them. I always said it would be cute to have them walking around on the hill. Now I can enjoy them without any of the work :)

Denise said...

so sweet. Brings me back about 45 years or so except we kept them in a box in the basement! Enjoy and we'll see you soon!

Denise said...

Awww! How cute! I wish I could Come and see them! (Said Stella)

Kristy said...

Well I am glad to hear that you have come to terms with having chickens. Yours are a little bigger than ours, we still have at least 2 weeks before ours get full feathers, good thing too Kevin has to finish "The Coop-DeVille". Keep me posted on how your chicks are doing, maybe we will have to start a chicken blog.

Laurie said...

Love the name Double D. Was that named after Dan or you? :)

fig said...

Congrats, they have lived a lot longer than ole Fred. Let me run the numbers on this whole undertaking. Chicks - $10.00, Feed - $8.56, Light to keep them warm - $4.98, New boots to look cool when feeding the chickens - $12.98, New coop with wire run - $38.15, Paint job with trim - $25.00. Ok, $100.00 in expenses. Let's just say you can sell the eggs for $1.00 per doz. In one year the poor chickens will have to produce 3 eggs a day, rain or shine, thats if Dewey doesn't drop or step on one. Good luck. But the experience is priceless.

Marva's "Marvalous" Memories said...

Once again, Chelle, you need to write a book! I love to read your blogs - I sit and laugh all by myself!So how are the chickens doing - still alive? What a great family project!