Sunday, August 15, 2010

country bumpkins go to the museum


 I realized this week that summer vacation is swiftly coming to an end.  Our kids begin school before Labor Day  (DON'T get me started on that)  so i felt the need to pack in all kinds of summer goodness into 3 weeks. 

You see,  i spent a fair amount of the summer grieving our 5th baby,  our unexpected pregnancy loss.    I had resolved early in the summer break to try my best to balance grief and life with my 4 kids.   And so we have outings.    A couple weeks ago it was Krispy Kreme and Toys R Us  (fairly harmless) and Tuesday we went to the Public Museum in good ol' downtown  G-rap.

About 5 minutes in I realized that they would be my tour guide,   and not the reverse.    I had planned on taking a rather organized (as much as I am capable) stroll through the exhibits reading to them the detailed explanations and teaching them the history of our city and state.    They had other intentions.

They zig zagged through the Old streets,   and ran back out to the doll exhibit so the girls could have a tea party.    They said that the furniture exhibit was "boring"  but found great delight in the interactive Amway exhibit.   It almost made me want to buy and sell Amway prods.  :)

After a few free rides on the carousel,   we crossed the Grand River and much to my kids delight they sipped on sodas from a local eatery.   It was a beautifully hot day and I enjoyed watching them explore more than just our backyard and basement.    Makes me a little sad that I didn't start these outings sooner than August.

1 comment:

Mom H said...

I forgot to ask you about that outing this weekend. What a great idea! I'm sure they enjoyed it and will remember it for a long time. I would have liked to have gone along but sometimes just mom and kids is good too.Thanks for sharing the great pics. I think the kids will say they are having a great summer!