Tuesday, August 03, 2010

with and without her

It has been 15 weeks and 5 days.    I realize no one would know this but me,  but today it feels right to do some remembering.     

I remember when the my doctor told me  "the baby measured at 15 weeks 5 days."    At the time I was 17 weeks and 4 days into my what had turned into a pregnancy loss.    Today I have been without her as long as she was with me.

How in the world did I carry this baby for 2 weeks and not know she had passed away?   What kind of mother was I?     The early days following April's delivery I writhed in pain at the thought.      Looking back,  there were perhaps mild indications that the baby was not developing.

I remember how I was waiting  and waiting to feel the first obvious sign of movement.  

I remember thinking how I would enjoy traveling to and from Florida on Spring Break 
feeling the baby flutter as all I had to do was sit on my butt in the van. 

I remember laying in bed every night of Spring Break,  
convincing myself that I had felt some type of movement.    I did not.

I remember noticing that my maternity swimsuit had fit exactly as it had 
when I tried it on 2 weeks prior.  

I remember wondering about all these things 
but not being overly worried or despaired.

I remember driving the 5-8am stretch of our road trip home.   I was feeling extremely grateful for the week we had just had.   I glanced over at Dan asleep holding a restless Juliet.  I peered in the rearview mirror and saw the big 3 sprawled across the van trying to find comfortable sleep.      I was hearing songs one after the other on an Indiana Christian radio station.   The songs were not praise songs.  They were songs of honest pain and surrendering our will.    "hmm...sad songs"  I thought to myself.    One song in particular brought back a slew of thoughts.  Specifically about a little baby named Hannah.   What I heard on the radio that early morning  was the song played at Hannah's funeral.    I thought and remembered what her parents were claiming when they played the song with these lyrics:

It's all about you, Jesus.
And all this is for you,
for Your glory and Your fame.
It's not about me,
as if You should do things my way.
You alone are God and I surrender
to Your ways.

Not for the first time I thought to myself,  would I be able to honestly speak those words if I had lost a baby?

All of these moments, and thoughts I've just shared  when compiled together are, to me an obvious display of God protecting and yet preparing me.   

Perhaps it seems like naivety or denial.   Perhaps it seems like I am grasping at some kind of neat explanation for the reality of what has happened.   Perhaps I am over thinking.    Yes,  it is a bit of all those things.     

But remembering such as this keeps her alive .    Identifying  and testifying to God's provision through  it all is part of April's legacy.

Okay,   this post is getting disorganized.   I also realize this blog has taken quite a serious and perhaps less entertaining turn in the past 3 months.  Nevertheless,  putting my thoughts down on virtual paper has been a major part of my moving forward.     To you reading this-- thank you so much for stopping by.   It is a desire of my heart that through telling my story ,  April's short life will have meaning far beyond what I can express.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking of you and wondering if it was a good day for you and then I checked your blog and saw that you posted. Keep posting...for you and for others. We're still reading, even if we don't post comments. (Some people don't know what to say, but we're still here and thinking of you.) I was so glad that I got to speak with you briefly at the wedding and would love to keep catching up. Sending love and hugs!

Mom H said...

I'm so glad you're blogging again.It helps me understand where you are in your grief and healing process.You're able to express so well things that we don't always get a chance to discuss when the kids are around. Remember when you were trying to tell me something at the cottage and you had to start over about five times due to kids needs:)Ya gotta lov'em! Anyway,keep blogging. Sometimes your posts cause me to laugh and sometimes to cry but it's all good. Love ya, Mom

Anonymous said...

We lost a little boy at 14 weeks & 6 days, in January and I am still hurting from it. People tend to think that since 'you weren't that far along' that it just seems to go away with time. I seen that baby move on the ultrasound...I had heard his heartbeat...then to go in one day to find out that he had passed away two days prior is something that I will never forget, no matter if I was not as far along as some people feel was 'far enough' to matter.
I give you credit for being able to blog about it...I have a blog that I talk about our family life with two daughters, and can barely bring myself to talk about losing our little boy.

Hang in there and know that whatever it is that you are doing, is what is right for you, and hopefully helping you along the way!

Michelle said...

Thank you all for the comments, it blesses me to know that people (those I know, and even those I don't) still care so deeply.

love to all of you!!
chelle