Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thoughts on this Thanksgiving Eve

Taken directly from a devotional book, "Jesus Calling" that I received from a friend this year.

November 24
Thankfulness takes the sting out of adversity. That is why I have instructed you to give thanks in everything.   There is an element of mystery in this transaction: You give me thanks (regardless of your feelings), and I give you Joy (regardless of your circumstances).  This is a spiritual act of obedience--at times, blind obedience.  To people who don't know me intimately, it can seem irrational and even impossible to thank Me for  heartrending hardships.  Nonetheless, those who obey Me in this way are invariably blessed, even though difficulties remain.

Thankfulness opens your heart to My Presence and your mind to My thoughts.  You may still be in the same place, with the same set of circumstances, but it is as if a light has been switched on,  enabling you to see from My perspective.  It is this Light of my Presence that removes the sting from adversity.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always wanted to thank you for your post on my blog awhile back now...and my sister mentioned your name today which reminded me that I wanted to thank you for that comment. So thank you so much for your words...they gave me great encouragement! And just to make a connection...I received your blog from a friend after I lost my girls but my cousin Rachelle Mckenzie goes to your church as does my sister's sis-in-law Monica Brink...and you are maybe friends with Angela VanSolkema who happens to be friends with my sister Courtney Tibbe...sooo many connections. But God bless you on this Thanksgiving Day!!!