Saturday, April 15, 2006

Waiting The Coming Day...


I have not posted in the last few days but tonight something inspired me, so I want to share it.

I was thinking about Easter songs and a few popped into my head. The ones that we sing in church on Easter morning, specifically, "Low In The Grave He Lay". It is an ancient hymn written in 1874. We still sing it at our church today from this hymnal.

Tonight I was putting laundry away and found myself humming the melody to the previously mentioned Easter hymn. Chase was in the bathroom and said,
"Hey Mom, I know that song, I like the part where it says:
waiting the coming day"
I had to sing the lyrics over in my head to make sense of what Chase had just said.
He told me that his teacher Mrs. Wells taught them the song at school.

There are a few things that I want to remember about this moment with my son. He is beginning to understand about Christ and what Salvation means. He may not fully understand what the lyrics to that song mean, and let's face it, that tune is 132 years old, but this is what inspires me. Something about that song~~ the words, or maybe just the way the musical chords settled on his ears, God was speaking to Chase and working in his heart. I've seen it this week. God used Chase today to really make me think about what the Easter celebration is all about. It is not about Joy's beautiful pink Easter dress, or the warm weather, or even going to church. It is about Jesus Christ and victory over the grave, and the salvation He has freely given. It is about a song whose words are so true, a kindergartener in 2006 starts to understand for the first time what Jesus Christ did for sinners.

Low in the grave he lay--Jesus my Savior:
Waiting the coming day--Jesus my Lord.
Up from the grave he arose With a mighty triumph o'er his foes.
He arose the victor from the dark domain,
And He lives forever with His saints to reign.
He arose, He arose, Hallelujah! Christ arose!

No comments: