Wednesday, January 24, 2007

when I grow up.

I recently asked my kiddos what future aspirations they have. What they told me varied from teacher (of course), to garbage man, to a princess going to a pink school (guess who that was).

When I was a child I went through all the phases. First plan was to be a teacher. Secondly, I wanted to work at a grocery store in the check out lane. I even had dreams of some high paying office career where I would wear business suits and heels. Maybe that's why I wore what appears to be a suit coat in one of my senior pictures---hideous. As the time came for me to make a choice about what to do with myself after high school, I strolled into the career exploration office at my school, literally picked up a brochure from the local community college and made my decision. I decided to enter the field of Occupational Therapy.

occupational therapy - physical therapy involving the therapeutic use of crafts and hobbies for the rehabilitation of handicapped or convalescing patients

In all honestly though I was really just hoping to make it through college and get my MRS. degree if you know what I mean. Enter Dan. All vocational aspirations vanished with the thought of being a wife and having babies!!! Yes, I'm sure all feminists out there are cringing right about now. Working after college in my chosen field was just a means to and end.

Fast Forward to today. I have many a conversation with Dan about what I will do when the kids are all in school if not before. I will need to provide some supplemental income. I feel like I did when I was a kid. What do I want to do when I grow up? Here is what I have come up with: (Dana, can you dig the bullet list?)
  • Receptionist/scheduler/etc. at a medical or dental office
  • Work in some capacity at a Salon--then I can change my hair so very often.
  • Some how find a job in the educational system
  • Start a little home business of making DVD slideshows for parties, weddings, etc.
  • Lastly, and most appealing right now--working as a Barista at Starbucks.
I am totally trusting God to guide me to just the right job. I can look back and see His hand in what I've already done. Even if my choices seemed random at best, God alone laid out my path before I was even taking my first step down it. What a comfort and a promise.

Jeremiah 29:10-11 The Message
This is God's Word on the subject: "As soon as Babylon's seventy years are up and not a day before, I'll show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you back home. I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

My guess is Dewey wants to be a princess and go to pink school.

And for your future job(s), being very familiar with the past "career" changes of you I would guess you will do all by the time Dewey is in High School! Ha!

Dana said...

What?
Why isn't working at a dry cleaner's on the list? (which is an excellently formatted list, btw)

Anonymous said...

Chelle- I feel the same way. I went to college to become a RN. Instead I earned my MRS. degree. A year ago I became a Certified Nursing Assisant because I wanted to work at a Hospital. I did it, but only for 3 months.( Not for me)Lesson Learned, money lost for classes. Now I am a substitue lunchroom/playground supervisor at my kids school. I love it. I am hoping once Noah goes full time next school year that I can get a permant postion at the school. The perks of working at school is that you don't have to get daycare for the kids(before & after school, snow days, holidays, etc.), you have the same days off and you don't work summers. =)And you get to know all the teachers. Good Luck in your quest for a mid-life career.

Michelle said...

Thanks Kris,
GReat to hear from you! I'm glad you got into the school system!!!

MiniMe Mom said...

I always laugh when Josh asks his students that question. Answers are always on both ends-either superstar status (president, movie start, NBA) or incredibly attainable (grocery clerk, ticket taker at the movies, McDonalds drive through worker).

I am sure you will find just the right fit. I love the idea of a DVD slideshows or tapes for the elderly. Start it now and maybe you can get some local press off the story about the stolen Hudsonville tapes. "Make memories with me so this won't happen to you". If you need a little website help, I could help if interested.

Anonymous said...

Why don't you write blogs for a living?
Could it be any longer?

tami said...

I think we should go into business together opening a salon/coffee shop then you can get your hair done and I can get a latte anytime I want one.

Michelle said...

Yes, Chandler Bing, my Blog could be longer. I have plenty to say, but I like to spread it out over weeks, and months for your enjoyment.

MiniMe Mom said...

People do write blogs for a living. Many, many people do. Check out MommieswithStyle, Celebrity Baby Blog, WhoisAndrewWee, so many others that turned blogging into profit. It is not so far fetched, Chelle.

Anonymous said...

I think I smell an opportunity...

Tami: Hair
Jamie: Baby gear
Nicole: slat snugglies (crap what else do I know how to do...)Oh, how about putting a few tanning beds in there?
Chelle: barista/receptionist

...for this awesome "everything" place. With a play area, while the mommies browse.

Anonymous said...

and nothing gets done.

Laurie said...

Hey Chelle - Thanks for commenting for the first time on my blog. My husband is usually the one asking me what I'm going to do when the kids are all in school. As in, hint, hint, get a job woman. By the way, love the comic strip pic (especially since it features my name.) Take care and say "hi" to my mom at church for me! :)

Anonymous said...

You are going to need customers, paying customers, let me know how it turns out, You're FIRED!

Anonymous said...

If a career is not medical it is not viable. You better do blood pressures in your mixed blend of services. I will probably write my book and make millions off of it after I retire.

Anonymous said...

You're the one that filed bankruptcy, loser.

Anonymous said...

That's a little low, Rosie, I thought we were over this

Anonymous said...

Chelle, are still selling Avon? I have a girlfriend that sells Mary Kay and I thought a makeup party would be fun...