Monday, November 26, 2007

I WANT THAT!!!

Lately my children have been exclaiming this at all the TV advertisements for various junk toys and quite possibly lead contaminated play things.

It brings me back to the days when I was a kid living in the country and my neighbors would do the same. We would be watching some cartoon and during the commercial they would shout out,
"We're gettin' that!"
and most of the time, they did. Including but not limited to an above ground swimming pool.

I'm sorry to say that things have not changed much since what was probably 1984.
Toy companies still peddle their goods during children's programming at what is I'm sure an even more obnoxious level.
I follow the blog of a gal trying to simplify her lifestyle. Part of doing this calls for her to try and ban all TV commercials from her home. She does not enjoy all the character themes found on so many kids items. You can hardly buy a box of cereal or even a pair of shoes for a kid today without it screaming SpongeBob or Disney Princess. She does not want her children to be advertisements for a big company.

Do I agree with her? Not so much. While I'm not thrilled that young consumerists are developing within my household, I can't completely avoid (read:shelter) kids from all the goodies the world has to offer. Teaching moderation and gratitude in a real world context, not granting their every wish seems more realistic than a complete wipe out of all temptation.

Yes, it is Christmas time again and kids are bombarded with what can be theirs if only they ask (and be really nice, not naughty). A hot issue here? Surely it is.

So what do I do when my kids scream out "I WANT THAT!" ???
I just tell them, "Go ask Grandma."

I'm kidding. Don't get your undies in a bunch.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I know what you mean. Brendan thinks every thing shown on TV would be great for him. 'Oh, I need that' or 'Mom, mom, can you get that for me'.

I vowed that my kids were not getting any toys for Christmas...but that's kinda hard to do, when everyone asking "what do the boys want for christmas?"

If it's not toys or something else they've seen on TV, what do you get the rugrats??? Clothes?? They will really love that. LOL

Triplet Mom said...

I remember asking for anything cool that showed up on T.V. as a kid, but I knew full well that I probably wouldn't get it. It was always worth a shot. I soon forgot about the items when I opened my real presents at Christmas. Good thing the commercials stop after Christmas so the kids aren't reminded of what they didn't get.

Katie said...

Luckily I don't quite have to deal with that yet. But I do remember being that age and and wanting everything in the commercials! And I couldn't wait to see what new things came out in the JC Penney toy catalog. It was a great day when I could page through it and make my list of everything I thought I was going to get that year. :)

Old School said...

A few things
1. Undies don't get in a bunch if you go commando
2. Things HAVE changed since 1984, the 80's were sweet, remember?
3. They (females) don't like to be called "gals".
4. Remind your kids how great they have it, tell them "when I was a kid.....(fill in some made up story that explained how bad you had it when you were a kid)"
5. When my kids say "I want That" I say "I want a million dollars" or "I want...Again fill in the blank" and then add "but that ain't gonna happen either, get used to it"

Now you know

Anonymous said...

I tell my kids to tell me when there is something on TV that they DO NOT WANT. You laugh, but it works. I have been doing this for years now. (Mother of a 10 & 7 yr. old.) Try it out. I do the same thing with the toy ads in the paper, circle what you DON'T WANT, otherwise they may as well circle the whole page.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone heard about those Aqua Dots? This was another "I want that" situation...Turns out there's a recall because if it's ingested it morphs into the date rape drug. freaky, much?

Old School said...

new photo

Anonymous said...

Gramdma's don't go commando,raging cow! Well, not usually anyway. And I prefer to use the phrase "in my day....." Chelle likes that one.