Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Paul knoweth.

We read this verse from Romans in Coffee Break a couple weeks back. If you wondered, Coffee Break is a women's ministry at my church and we have been studying living in God's Grace.

from Romans chapter 7, the good ol' New International Version

15
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
umm...kay. Confusing? I had to read it through, and read it again even slower to get the gist.
The words struck a chord with me, sort of.

Then I read the same verse in another version-- The Message--stick with me here.

14-16I can anticipate the response that is coming: "I know that all God's commands are spiritual, but I'm not. Isn't this also your experience?" Yes. I'm full of myself—after all, I've spent a long time in sin's prison. What I don't understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise. So if I can't be trusted to figure out what is best for myself and then do it, it becomes obvious that God's command is necessary.

17-20But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can't keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don't result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time.

21-23It happens so regularly that it's predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God's commands, but it's pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge.

24I've tried everything and nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn't that the real question?

25The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different.


I read this and thought, "Paul is in my head!" He wrote these words and he should have just said, "Michelle, this one is for you." It can be a helpless feeling when my Christian intentions get fouled up by sin.
I have often thought, "Oops, I did it again" That is putting it mildly.
More accurate would be, "Crap! Why do I keep boofing it up like this?!"

Jesus Christ can and did set things right in this life of contradictions...HIS victory over sin is the Grace that frees us from our sinful actions time and time again. As our coffee break lesson reminded me, I can always dip into the well of forgiveness, it is unlimited, even for the same darn mistake I continue to make.

It shouldn't, but sometimes it amazes me how relevant the Bible is. This time it took a different translation to bring it home for me. Thank you, Bible Gateway.com


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why dost thou think thou needest to read the word in such a worldly way? Be careful! Thou may find thyself to be smitten!

Sorry for the joking but I couldn't resist.

It is very true though Chelle. One thing I read a while back regarding this very text was that sometimes we dwell so much on NOT doing someting that it becomes too much of a focus and we end up doing it because of it.

(See I can be serious once in a while. Just don't tell anyone)(and no more "seriousness" on this blog)

Michelle said...

there is some Braaad poser out there claiming to be "serious Braaaad"

Serious Braaaad has a good point, God does not want us so bogged down by our own sins and guilt that we forget about grace.

Braaaad knoweth.

Anonymous said...

Ok, lets get really deep. Oh ya, the good things we should do we don't always do. We say the sinful nature pulled me away from the right. But, how often we find out later that somehow my sinful action still turns out for the good of Christ. So... did God have something to do with my choise to do wrong or do nothing at all - for someone elses good or my good in the future? Where am I going? Do you understand what I am asking? Good, explain it to me.

Anonymous said...

That passage can be cofusing but also comforting to know Paul struggled as we do. We can get really down on ourselves when we keep commiting the same sins over and over.Praise God His forgiveness never ends and He never tires of hearing our confessions.He loves us so that He removes our sins from us " as far as the east is from the west". What a Great God we have!! Oh we will keep on sinning but repent and focus on His Grace. Sorry, didn't mean to make a 3point sermon out of this. Love ya

Michelle said...

I enjoyed your 3 point mini-sermon

It makes much more sense than Elder Fig. as usual.

denise said...

Where would we be without God's grace? His love is overwhelming, how he can continue to forgive the same old sins over and over. What a blessing. Love you, Mom D