Monday, November 12, 2007

the Internet. Friend or Foe?

Yes, this is another post on the ever tantalizing topic of food.

I have a habit of checking the ingredients list of foods I eat. I understand some of the ingredients and additives, others I can hardly pronounce. I recently explained to Dan that high fructose corn syrup is really just another sugar. He was amazed yet unaffected.
We all know the bad stuff:
Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil
Aspartame
MSG
But they are all acceptable for human consumption as regulated by the FDA.

Today I was struggling to put together some kind of lunch. I spotted Ramen Noodles. High in yumminess, higher in MSG.

I decided to hop on the ol' information super highway to see just what all the fuss is about. One website said avoid MSG all the time, another stated after scientific research, MSG was not found to cross the placental barrier, therefore no worries to your unborn baby.

Huh?

Sometimes internet information is more confusing than it is helpful.
I decided to eat just the noodles, not the broth.

What is a misguided, pregnant, hungry girl to do?

8 comments:

Triplet Mom said...

The Internet is a plethora of misinformation and opinions... yet I can learn so much!

Anonymous said...

Note to self: don't eat it if you can't pronounce the ingredients. Second note to self: there is a lot of crap out there....beware!

Anonymous said...

What a sad picture of you eating bland old noodles with no broth. Do you think that is good for your little one?
Where's the beef? Where's the veggies? Where's the fruit?

Anonymous said...

I agree: If you can not pronounce it, don't eat it. I like to use ingredients that I have grown in my own organic garden, and I also have my own livestock that is organically fed.

Anonymous said...

Two things:

#1 Who drinks/eats the broth anyway? I'd rather eat "soup" with a fork or slotted spoon.

#2 Good call. I'm sure all the MSG's stayed in the broth and weren't in the noodles themselves.

Anonymous said...

What are you thinking? Baby Fig would like a PB and J or just open a can of soup. Oh, how about some choc chip cookies he needs a balanced diet.

joan b. said...

You could move to Seattle where you can get fresh, organic fruits and vegetables every day. Just kidding, of course - we like having you around here! But it's been wonderful for Laura and Ben having the market just a block from their apartment. Beautiful flowers, too....something everyone enjoys, pregnant or not.
I keep telling them they that we can get organic food and meat without growth hormones here in GR, but it's not working on getting them back :). Keep reading those labels and enjoy your pregnancy -
Love and hugs!

denise said...

Glad to know you are so careful about what you eat and have the best interest of our little grandchild in mind! Sometimes ignorance is bliss, yet not such a good idea when it comes to what we eat and even what we put onto our skin these days!
You know my pantry is always well stocked and only a short walk up the drive so you don't really have to eat Ramen noodles! Love you, Mom