Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Out with the Old...In with the New?

With a new year upon us this is our mantra. Everyone seems to be cleaning out, repairing, resolving, planning, evolving, changing. A few weeks back I noticed something rather unchanged as I sat in a Sunday morning worship service at my church. Allow me to share.

The worship style at my church is blended. From traditional hymns, to contemporary praise songs, we usually have a combination of styles on any given Sunday. I assume this is not an easy task for the worship leaders in a church with varying musical tastes and this post is not my attempt to choose sides in a debate about worship style. This post is about the transcendence of music.

We began to sing the hymn of 1826 Holy, Holy, Holy. You may have heard of it.
I guess I'll have to admit that I am at times be one of those folks that "looks around" during church. I'm not taking a mental roll call, but I just enjoy seeing the faces of those I am worshiping with and the expressions on their face as they worship. As I scanned the crowd I noticed a precious Senior lady of our church sitting lovingly next to her husband. I know this lady has Alzheimer's Disease and I have a special place in my heart for her. She reminds me of my grandmother who also lived with Alzheimer's.

What struck me so greatly that day again as well as when I worked in the nursing home is the power of the old hymns to an older, by that I mean a senior citizen, Christian. I looked at this elderly lady and watched as her mouth sing the words to Holy, Holy, Holy. She may or may not have known where she was, or why she was there, but she knew that song and she was singing to her God. It was beautiful to me, it is beautiful to God.

I am simply grateful that we still sing hymns, that we have not swept out the old , solely in favor of the new. I am inspired to see God's Word through music still touching the life of and elderly lady.
I wonder what song will always get me singing, even into old age.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I am also glad to be able to sing those old hymns.
I too have had a similar experience. This past fall my grandparents weren't doing so good. So they requested the family join them for a communion service in their home. We sang a few songs, most likely Grandpa and Grandma's favorites. I remember Grandpa being so happy as he sang these songs, as if no one else was around. I also remember Grandma with tears running down her cheeks. It was very moving to be able to experience that with my grandparents and to see how much those old hymns touched their hearts.

tami said...

At our church I have noticed that alot of those beautiful old hymns are being put to newer upbeat music. I like it, the music and tempo may be different but the words still have the same great message.

Lia said...

There are two songs that choke me up when they sing it the old hymn way - AMAZING GRACE and HE LIVES

Because He lives I can face tomorrow, Because He lives all fear is gone; Because I know He holds the future And life is worth the living just because He lives.

Laurie said...

I had one song that gave me such a sense of hope when I was hospitalized and on bedrest with my last pregnancy. "I need thee every hour". I do think old hymns can calm young souls.

denise said...

Oh Michelle, you know I love the old hymns. So many of them bring back memories for me, of my grandparents and my dad. The one that always gets me choked up is "Great is Thy Faithfulness". It always gave me hope and comfort during difficult times. It just seems that most of the new songs don't stir the soul like some of the old ones I grew up with.
One of my favorite memories is when Grandma Dieleman was nearing the end of her life and some of her "Dutch" friends from church came over and sang dutch hymns around her bed. It was so moving and was the last time we remember her showing any emotion. She so enjoyed that and passed away two days later.

Anonymous said...

Chelle, just about the time I think you act just like your mother you come thru something like this. I could not have said it any better. However, "old songs and hymns are relative". Your "old" hymns are different than my "old" hymns or Grandma Dieleman's. I mean hers were in Dutch, mine in Old English, yours in modern English and faster. etc. The meaning of the words are what make the song meaningful to you and God and because you sang it a certain way makes it meaningful to you. Just a few notes of a song can swing you thoughts to wonderful memories. Seriously, remember the Millgrove songs. I bet you love them, I could not stand them then.

Triplet Mom said...

I think the VanderVeens just named their daughter Josie.

Anonymous said...

We need more names to choose from. You don't have any good ones up there yet.

Anonymous said...

We need more names to choose from. You don't have any good ones up there yet.

MiniMe Mom said...

Okay, I am not Josie Grosie! Just wanted to clear that up.

So, Jillian it is then? I love it:-)

Marva's "Marvalous" Memories said...

I'm with you Chelle - I love the old hymns. I also love to see the notes so people can sing harmony. I'm glad I learned alto to the old hymns and can still sing it, but I don't think 20 years from now our kids will have that benefit. Some more food for thought! Love ya! Aunt Marva