Saturday, January 26, 2008

Snack Attack

Let's face it I come from a family of snackers.

My father would eat a full meal for supper and have 2 nightly snacks before bed. One was almost always a huge bowl of cereal.

My brother would try to get away with the same, claiming one was a bonafide "bedtime snack", but he also needed a "treat"

I have now produced an entirely new generation of snackers.

"Mom, can I have a snack?" at 7am of course

"Mom, I am so hungry only for fruit snacks."

"That was not a big enough snack"

"I ate my sandwich, now can I (immediately) have my snack?"

crying and rolling on the floor just as supper is about th begin "But I forgot to have my afterschool snack!!!!"

The icing, or whip cream on the cake, if you will, was last night when Drew came running up the stairs with the ultimate idea for a bedtime snack.
"Mom, I just want whippy do for my snack, in a bowl, with a spoon!"
(whippy do is Dan's weird name for CoolWhip)

For many reasons, which only made sense to me at the time, I let him scamper off with a bowl of coolwhip...and a spoon.
Oh , what has become of me?????????


19 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Noah has the same snacking habits. To him a ham sandwich w/ cheese and lettuce is a after school snack, or the famous ramen noodles. When I do get him to eat just a banana or apple he still says that he is hungry. (Maybe this is way he weighs 98 lbs.) I have even asked his Dr. for help with the issue of over eatting, and he told me to not have the stuff in the house. But this means we all have to suffer. Like many people tell me "He will out grow it." Well I would like to know when, because people also say that as boys get older they eat more.

My dad still eats a serving bowl size of cereal for a bedtime snack, What's up with that?

Olivia said...

Growing up, one of my favorite snacks was Cool Whip in a little orange tupperware cup!

I often wondered what my mom was thinking - letting me have eat that for a snack :)

Now that I'm a mom, I do things I never thought I would, just to get a few moments peace.

Triplet Mom said...

Mmmm snacks. I would rather snack all day than eat meals. I don't think this is a healthy way of life.

Anonymous said...

I must confess Dewey asked me for a bowl of Whippy Doo 2 wks ago and I gave it to him. Somehow I got the feeling it wasn't the first time he had it. Yes, the snacks are still plentiful around here. I still say I'd be slim if I didn't have to witness those two or three nitely snacks of your father.

Anonymous said...

Let's make things perfectly clear. Snacks are not treats, treats are not desserts and desserts should be eaten right after the meal so you can have more later.

Anonymous said...

For some reason I'm really missing Rena right now!

Old School said...

I always put cool whip on my frozen whippy do, MMMM Good

Laurie said...

Cool whip and fresh strawberries is my favorite snack. (And as I'm serving it to myself I take a big scoop out of the bowl and eat it plain.)

As a mom, you do a lot of things you never thought you'd do. I think it's called "survival of your sanity"! ;)

Anonymous said...

Do they still make chocolate Cool Whip? That sounds pretty good right now.

MiniMe Mom said...

I always put cool whip on my hot chocolate. It is the only thing I crave right now. Starbucks is the best, although my homemade cocoa is pretty close.

Agreed, Triplet Mom. I would much rather snack!

Anonymous said...

Forget the "whippy doo", You need to get the cans that you can squirt right in your mouth.
Now, that's good eating. You just have to enjoy the taste and swallow.
Mmmmmmmmm, good.

Anonymous said...

How is that even a snack? A SNACK is something that fills a void in my stomach. Cool whip or whippy do don't do that! Empty calories that don't take away the hunger.

Anonymous said...

Cool Whip on jerky, now theres a snack for you Braaaaaad.

Anonymous said...

Cool Whip on jerky, now theres a snack for you Braaaaaad.

Anonymous said...

That's a disgusting enough thought w/o hearing it twice. Thanks Fig!

Marc said...

Not to nitpick, but shouldn't it be whippy doo? Otherwise it might end up being pronounced whippy doh.

Anonymous said...

who the crap is Marc?

Michelle said...

marc, a fellow blogger, let me tell you, is a also member of the illustious SCHS class of '94.

Marc said...

I feel so welcome...