Friday, December 19, 2008

the Power of a Moment.


It was a couple weeks ago that Dan, the kids and I went out to visit them. Grandpa & Betty Hopkins. As they now stay in MI for the winter, we can swing by and see them anytime.
But, do we? Sadly, no.
We, or I should say I, get caught up in my own busy day-to-day that I probably only see Grandpa 4 or 5 times a year.

This year as we decorated the family Christmas tree, I pulled out the two ornaments hand crafted by Grandpa Hopkins and given to me, my siblings and cousins long, long ago. When I saw these little sled ornaments I felt a sudden burst of emotion. You know the kind that starts in your chest and moves on up and results in tear filled eyes. My Grandpa loved (loves) me so much! I remember fondly, growing up and partaking of the goodness Grandpa and Grandma provided. Be it in the form of the Cottage, Easter Egg hunts, Christmas parties (adults up stairs, kids in the basement), or that piece of candy, a hug, and for as long as I can remember... birthday and Christmas cards with a little $$ tucked inside. (sorry, Tami) ;)

Pure love, pure generosity, pure influence.

As we visited and I saw Grandpa & Betty hold my youngest child endearingly. I realized anew that I am who I am to some extent by the wisdom and provision of this man.
Thanks be to God for his life!

Merry Christmas, Grandpa!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Chelle, I've been waiting for this post. It brought the same burst of emotion from me. Your grandpa Hopkins is a great man! I'm so glad you took the time to visit them. They were too! I thank God for both he and Betty. She is such a blessing to him and our family.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous is me. Love ya, Mom H

tami said...

Hi Chelle, I couldn't agree more with your post and all the memories. He has a gift of making every grandchild feel like they are his favorite. We couldn't think of a better man to name Parker after.

Anonymous said...

I could not have said it any better, Chelle. You must get your writing skills from me. He is a special man. I have always looked up to him but probably will never measure up to him. Well at least I am starting to look like him! Oh, and Tami, never underestimate the name Dave for one of your children.

Anonymous said...

You mean....Parker Preston Fig Wondergem?