Monday, May 22, 2006

Not Ready to Make Nice


Above is the title of a new song by the Dixie Chicks. Remember them? I used to love country music about 12 years ago, listening almost exclusively the genre. I came across an article in TIME magazine about the Dixie Chicks and their approaching "comeback" from a musical hiatus.

Three years ago there was a big uproar when the lead singer Natalie Maines made a comment "...she was ashamed that the President of the U.S. was from Texas" during one of their concerts in a foreign country. This comment was made on the eve of the Iraq war. What followed was backlash from the country music world which included burning of their CDs, banning their music from radio stations, and even threats to the group.

Fast forward to now, they are releasing a new album and their website plays the song Not Ready to Make Nice. I like the song, I like it a lot. But I don't like the message that it gives. Forget the war, or their political stance, this songs reeks of unrepentance and stubborn unforgiveness. SO... why do I like the song so much? It bugs me because it goes against what I know is right about offering forgiveness, not holding a grudge, and having a obstinate heart. Maybe I am just annoyed because they were the ones who made the retarded comment in the first place and are now acting like the poor victims. Some victims...assuredly they will make tons of dough on their latest venture. Still, I can't get the song out of my head. Is it possible to like a song musically and dislike it lyrically? What's your take on this? Any thoughts?

12 comments:

Old School said...

I don't like the Dixie Chicks, if I want to listen to two skinny girls and a fat girl I will listen to Wilson Phillips, so no comment

Anonymous said...

Very possible- Just about every ACDC song fits in this category. They can rock, but terrible lyrics

Hey Cow.......... Sounds like your a Heart Fan. But I don't know if they have any skinny girls.

Anonymous said...

Nute, that was Ann and Nancy Wilson one was skinny one was large, but boy could she sing.

Old School said...

yup, heart rocks, The dark haired one (Ann?) would have been so hot if she were skinnier, she really got large after the 80's, "OOOOOO Barricuda!!"

Anonymous said...

I am not sure but many people like my songs lyrically, yet not musically

Anonymous said...

I am not sure but many people like my songs lyrically, yet not musically

Anonymous said...

It's too hard keeping up with 2 blogs.

Michelle said...

I always liked Heart's tune-- All I Want To Do Is Make Love to You -- but Judy did not approve...I was only in Jr. High and I shouldn't be singing about that stuff she said

Anonymous said...

I got yelled at by Cowell for having the Van Halen Tape with the picture of the little Angel with a pack of smokes. Van Halen 1984

Anonymous said...

Sorry for that Michelle remember "The real thing don't do the trick, no You better make up something quick You’re gonna burn, burn, burn, burn, burn it to the wick Ohhh, Barra…barracuda! Yeah

Ooohhhhhh-ah!"

Anonymous said...

Hey Cow what was your fascination with the Beach Boys?

Old School said...

they were good...those boys could sing!