Thursday, June 29, 2006

Dad.



















We were on vacation this year on Father's Day. I still want to say a few words about my Dad even though I am almost 2 weeks behind.

Photos of my father then (1970 something) and in 2005. The funny thing is, not a whole lot has changed. He still barefoots. He still has that same smile on his face almost always. He has great love for his family--not just us, but also his Dad, his brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, neighbors, friends, and the family of workers at the pharmacy.

We grew up in a house filled with great memories that of which we owe a lot to our dad. I would like to share a few....Remember any of these, Dad, they might only make sense to some of us.

  • Watching pheasants hatch in the incubator
  • Remember when you hit a rabbit while driving and told us it was the Easter Bunny?? :0
  • Riding in the wagon behind the John Deere as you mowed the lawn. (we would fall out of the wagon and you has no clue)
  • When you wore the Big Bird costume on numerous occasions
  • Teaching us how to water ski
  • When you were Sunday School superintendent, I was one proud kid.
  • The "Hopkins Hamburger" (no one will guess what it actually is)
  • Always saying I was beautiful, even when I most definitely was not.
  • When you bought my my 1985 Cavalier for a cool $700. I always knew that was a lot of $$ for you to spend at the time. I loved that car.
  • I think you had tears in your eyes when I cried over being cut from Varsity Volleyball
  • Making me feel good about myself when I all but failed a Psychology class at GRCC
  • Your "Ted Nugent" basketball backboard (really, what were you thinking? the two have no connection)
  • You gave me $$ for gas and paid my measly $82.00 a month car payment when I was 21 years old for pete's sake.
  • How I cried wben we danced at my wedding.
  • When I woke up from my Jaw surgery and you were singing the song from "The Simpsons" (what a weird-o)
  • I remember how you held and admired all of my babies when they were newborns.
The list is getting rather long, but you get the picture. My dad has many passions in life, but being a Godly husband, father, and grandfather has always been where it's at for him. For all of this and more we love you, and Happy Father's Day!

12 comments:

Old School said...

What can I say, He's the Fig (UD), enough said! well maybe one word "Fireworks?"

Old School said...

ps 7:00 on the money hows that Chelle?,

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michelle said...

I would expect nothing more than perfect accuracy from Blouw Appraisal

Triplet Mom said...

Chelle, you shouldn't write such beautiful things - I am a sobbing pregnant mess now! What a wonderful trip down memory lane though! It's all true, and we really did have the best parents ever!

Anonymous said...

Finally, now that is some quality blogging!

Anonymous said...

Stacey's right, that was a great trip down memory lane.Your dad would be the first to admit he is not perfect,well maybe he wouldn't, but nevertheless he is a great dad,papa and husband. We are all blessed to have him.

Dana said...

Fig, when are you going to start your own blog? You've got much to say, and you could title it, "The Way I Fig-ger It."

Anonymous said...

Dana you are brilliant. Sounds a little racist?

Anonymous said...

I want to see a picture of Fig in the Big Bird Costume.

Dana said...

Right, perhaps I should quit trying to be a wordsmith and we can just call it "The Way I FIGure It."

Old School said...

was it Big Bird or Fig Bird?