Sunday, February 11, 2007

Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting


Today is the day. Happy "Double Nickels" Birthday to Dad H.!!

For as long as I can remember, Dad's birthday was a big event. He looks forward to it for months to come. As I reflect on that, and the fact that my parents are not exactly spring chickens, I am ever thankful for their lives of love, and example they are. On days such as these I fondly remember the fun times growing up. I also let my mind wander to a time where I was rather self-involved and probably did not realize the sacrifices and the prayers of my father on my behalf. Dad, I thank you for them, I am who I am because of your consistent love, direction, and support.

A few winter themed memories to share.

  • Back in the day, where we lived in Allegan county, winter snow was dominate. One day, when the drifts were double my size, Dad made for us a tunnel/slide through the snow bank that he himself could slide through.
  • I won't forget the time driving home from church where Dad pulled over and let me drive the last mile home, how he must have laughed when I drove using both feet.
  • During the years when I claimed I hadn't a dime to my name, Dad paid for my parking in a downtown ramp. 40 bucks.
  • How many of my boyfriends did you have to pull out of your garden, after they got stuck in the snow?
  • Watching the Detroit Pistons circa 1989. I kept the stats in my sprial notebook.
  • You watching two different sports programs simutaneously with your own homemade "Picture in Picture" that is, one small TV on top of the larger console TV. So silly.
  • Supporting me in my short lived high school sports career. Still not a month goes by without mention of my ill-fated break away lay-up. Now we can laugh about it.
  • Papas in Pajamas.
Today we celebrate raise our Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting to you!
Happy Birthday Dad!


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fig is Fifty-Five
He'll tell you how sweet he is
Some of it is true

Michelle said...

superb haiku and totally accurate.

MiniMe Mom said...

MMMMM... yellow cake with chocolate frosting. My favorite too, as long as the whole can of frosting is spread on the cake.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to Fig!

Chelle, that last picture is priceless....loved the papas and pajamas!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm...yellow cake w/ chocolate frosting.

What other way would there be Jamie? You mean there are people out there who don't put the whole can of frosting on a cake? There should be a law against that sort of thing!

Laurie said...

My dad loves his birthday too - he evens brings a birthday treat to pass out to his classes of college kids. Love all the photos of you and your dad - the second to last one with you two and your killer tans cracks me up. Is it just me or does your dad look like he is sitting there naked? =)

MiniMe Mom said...

Oh Yes, Braaaaad. I have been to a house where...gasp...the frosting is so thin you can see the yellow. Total ruin of the perfect cake.

Michelle said...

It was fun to pick out those photos.
I didn't add any captions but they go like this:

Me & Daddy at the cottage.

Dad & I at a Calvinette "Dad's night"

Spring Break my junior year.

Father/Daughter wedding dance. AWWWW...

I didn't have a current one of Dad & I though, I'll have to take one soon.

Anonymous said...

How sweet it is. Fifty-five and still alive. I have truely been blessed. It looks if I was 1/2 the man am now back in the day. I would love to have a picture taken with my beautiful, long haired, Chelle.

Anonymous said...

happy belated birthday fig, (we were gone for a long weekend). thanks for always making me ski. Your a good UD.