Monday, February 26, 2007

Mediocre Mothering Moments of the Month

February is drawing to a close and a busy one it has been. As a mom, sometimes I feel like I go against my better judgement when handling the day to day rituals with my kids. I often think back to my childhood, what I remember my mom doing, as a compass for child rearing today. I often think,
WWJD "what would Judy do?"

As I reflect on the month gone by a few things won't escape my mind, moments of less than perfect parenting. Unfortunately, I didn't contemplate WWJD--Judy or Jesus.

  • Not once but twice I brought Joy to the grocery store, still in her sleeper. It wasn't morning, we just didn't get her dressed that day.
  • My middle child stuck up for his older brother and stated "Mom, stop being so mean to us!"
  • In the effort to hurry my children to the car in the cold weather, I told Dewey to "run a little faster!" He then tripped and fell in the sloshy snow and was devasted. Geesh, I felt bad about that one.
  • And then there are those little fibs that we tell our children, like "oh, the snowmobile is out of gas, we can't ride it today." Or the infamous threat "do you want me to tell Daddy about how you're behaving?"
  • I think I get stuck in a rut this time of year when it comes to preparing meals for my family. As I type, what do you think my kids are having for lunch?
wait for it... the healthy and delicious treat---Ramen Noodles

I look forward to a new the month of March and some magnificent mothering. I praise God for giving me these precious lives to raise, I thank Him for renewing me daily to take care of my family and for the forgiveness I receive for the mistakes I do make.

15 comments:

Tina said...

Michelle,
I don't think your any different than any other SAHM. These cold days get to be long, and little bodies EVERYWHERE make you feel a little claustrophobic (sp?). Hang in there--that's what I keep telling myself.

Anonymous said...

Chelle, I cracked up about your "run a little faster" moment!! Way too familiar. Austin tells me to pretend the wind is chasing him...then we run.

Oh and lets not get started on the healthy foods. One of Austin's first words were "fries".

Ramen Noodles? Hey...aren't there little freeze dried veggies in there?

Laurie said...

Thank God for GRACE. We stay-at-home-moms can't be perfect all the time ... just most of the time.

Anonymous said...

Chelle-I totally agree with all the other SAHM. Noah and Makayla's favorite meal and snack are ramen noodles, oh well, not to mention cereal, popcorn and cookies and milk. I can picture myself telling my kids to run and them falling also. LOL. I think that the way our mothers raised us was a thing of the times. Our lives are much more busier than theirs were.(They did not have blogs to read and write.)

tami said...

As I am reading this post, Elli is eating a doughnut, okay really she is just sucking the frosting off of a doughnut for breakfast. I like to start the day off healthy. :)

Lorraine said...

#2 reminds me of the time my then-3 year responded to a particularly nasty freak-out of mine with a plaintive "I want my old mommy back".

We've all been there, sweetie. And God redeems it all.

But that's not why I'm here. Dana said to come wish you a "happy birthday". So Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

What....no "Happy Birthday to me" blog? And I thought you were Fig's daughter. Obviously you are more Grooter than Fig I guess.

Happy Birthday anyway. See you tonight for the big shin-dig.

Michelle said...

If it makes you feel better, I drove for 30 minutes this morning and when I arrived at my destination I realized that Emma did not have her seat belt on. Bad, but even worse considering the roads were pure ice. Ugh! Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Chelle! We expect "shin-dig" pictures!

Michelle said...

what Shin-Dig?

I know of nothing. Last year, Braaaad tricked me into thinking I was going to have a big 30th Bash.

nothing.

He's just gettin my hopes up again :)

How rude.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you and Joy. (It also is my Mother-in-law's birthday today.)

Anonymous said...

why dont you just tell me you want a party!!!!! Gosh!!

Anonymous said...

Danno, I say we bring it up every year and then just have one out of the blue. That'll get her!

Old School said...

Happy birthday, chelle

3:13
on her birthday

Anonymous said...

Late blogger here,but I have an excuse I was on a "Fun Ship". Chelle I admire your honesty about your mistakes as a mom. I had many too you just don't remember them all and your kids won't either.Remember the time we ended up in a ditch because I decided to pass and hit an icy patch. You were less than two but repeated the word "ditch" for days.And the time I wanted to hurry you so I yanked on your arm and I ended up calling your Dad cause you kept crying about your arm. I was sure I was going to the slammer for child abuse!And there are many more stories. You are a great mom and your kids know you love them.Don't be too hard on yourself though. Just stop and sit down with them and love 'em up or play a game. They'll remember that but not that your house was all tidy.If I could go back I would do more hugging,reading and playing with you guys.God understands,ask Him for help.