Wednesday, April 04, 2007

My Wall of Fame.

The Spring Cleaning Machine came to a screeching halt this week when I discovered 3 large boxes of my children's artwork, craft projects, etc. Society might consider me a pack rat for keeping a good 6 years worth of what comes down to a bunch of paper, glue, and a popsicle stick here and there. What a pickle. Do I toss it? How can I part with the most beautiful art ever created???

Above is a photo of a large cork board in our kitchen/dining area. Just a small sampling of what compounds weekly in our home and there is no end in sight. I have even started doling it out to my parents because they can't say no to it, they have to display it with the utmost pride. Do I recycle it? It still feels like I am throwing it away forever!!!

I guess I just enjoy their little faces when they create something with their own two hands and their big imaginations. Soon enough crayons and glue will be a thing of the past. Until then, don't be surprised if you receive an Chase, Drew, or Joy original.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a "wall of art" in the playroom...It collects all year long. I then, take a picture of the collage...slowly and secertly, it gets dumped. Last year, Ashlyn caught on to my scheme and I reassured her we had to make room for all the new art she'd make this year!

Your right, though, their little masterpieces won't be around forever!

Sonny Huisman said...

We just had this conversation at a not-so-recent accountability meeting (I believe you were absent), and Kerri said she makes a collage each month, takes a picture at the end of the month, tosses most of it, keeps the cutest of the cute and dumps the rest.

Great idea! It's easier to hold onto 12 pictures in a year than a whole box full!

MiniMe Mom said...

Since Kayden is so little and we do not get a lot of it, I keep it all. I cannot part with it! I still remember the time I took a week to color and sticker a book for my mom only to find it in the trash a day later. Yep, still bitter.

Laurie said...

I bought some plastic under the bed sweater containers and wrote each girl's names on top. If they have put a lot of time in a project or wrote something just too darn cute to throw away - in it goes.

By the way, I am glad to read that your son's name is Drew. I thought it was Dewey. Which is fine if you are a duck and hang out with Donald. =)

Anonymous said...

Let grandpa fig get you up do date on Andrew John David's real name: Drew, Dewey, Andrew, The Girls Brother, Dewster, Shoeless, and sometimes just "Hey cut that out!" He is precious.

Anonymous said...

Laurie

You have to understand the family. Every time Chelle was contemplating names her mom would say "You could name him/her/ this and then call him/her this." ONe of the most bizarre thing I've ever seen in regards to naming someone.

Anyway Chase is Poindexter, Poin, Hoser, Hose, just to name a few.

Joy is Girl, The Girl, The Misses to name a few.

Fig started our as Big Fella, then Fig Bella, and then Fig. If you are his nephew you might call him UD, Short for Uncle Dave which was then U of D and then UD. (rhymes with thud)

Oh, an on the two middle names, Chelle was mocking her cousin for doing that a month or so before Andrew ended up with it. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it just cracked me up as being a tad ironic.

Never a dull moment at the Hopkins household!

Michelle said...

Braaaad,
True Story.
You know us too well.
But now you have let all our quirky little secrets out of the bag!!!!