Friday, August 17, 2007

Serves me right.



This morning while the boys were still asleep, Joy and I played CandyLand.

I tried to teach her the rules of the game, she started out strong. As the game lingered on and on I was getting anxious to make coffee, get my morning rolling.
I know, it's terrible.
I should have been enjoying the one on one time with my daughter instead of letting my thoughts drift to my to-do list for the day. Was it not just yesterday I was taking time to enjoy beauty in the ordinary?

Still the game stretched on and on. 20 minutes, 30 minutes.
She was almost at the finish line and she drew the Candy Cane card --to the Peppermint Stick Forest she went!!! Practically back to the beginning! Serves me right for wanting to rush through this game.

I started giving her two draws in a row, Joy had no clue I was bending the rules and was pleased as punch to be whipping through the game at great speed.

As we continued to play, I thought back to games that I played as a child, some of my favorites were Clue, Life, Perfection, Careers. I was always annoyed that the oldest person playing always won. I don't think my parents "let"me win.

Did yours?
What was your favorite childhood game?

Some how Joy still won the game even after being sent back to the gooey gumdrop, which she thought was a "bun" The never-ending game of CandyLand....

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, I remember stacking the deck of cards to draw so the kids drew the "ice cream float" card. Shortens the game considerably.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmm...Ice Cream Float...

tami said...

I thought parents "let" you win to boost your self-esteem, it's kinda sad to learn it's really about shortening the game.

I do enjoying playing UNO with Noah. He even beats me on his own most of the time.

Old School said...

I do not play candy land, I once maimed a person in a candyland accident

Old School said...

Chad Rocks, Too many posts to little time,
I am taking requests for my 10 people to be included in my "circle of Friends", 1 through 6 are solid, 7 and 8 are questionable, then the 9 and 10 spots are also solid. That leaves 7 and 8 as the bubble spots

Anonymous said...

I've also "stacked the deck" before....

I loved monopoly, candyland and trouble...

My kids are more into pretending...this week, I've been a "news journalist", a "mean girl" (that was fun) and a "horse owner".

Old School said...

I can call, instant message, text message, and e mail Ross, all for free (Alltel). I can also check my e mail, (any of the three accounts), check any blog, check e bay, perform any other internet activity for that matter, text message, call, or instant message, all from the phone, it seems there is nothing I can't do......
except 2 way, oh well.

Anonymous said...

Cow, it seems no one cares about your limited Circle of friends. I can 2-way thousands of my friends for free. This is no game! "Sorry" I still think you are a loser. You are the weakest link - good bye.

Anonymous said...

Candyland is getting very boring

Laurie said...

Hey lady - your Candy Land graphic is cute and all, but we (fellow bloggers who are avoiding real life) are just wondering, are you o.k.?