Tuesday, March 18, 2008

a birth remembered, and a birth awaited

When pregnant (sorry, another preggie post) with my first, I inhaled pregnancy books, magazines and literature. I wanted to be fully prepared for the big event.
What is recommended, maybe especially the first time around is a Birth Plan.
I always wondered if birth plans are followed or do they all go out the window when the pain hits hard. I suppose I had a birth plan back then, but as is my usual fashion, I adjusted it accordingly.

8 years ago today our firstborn Chase made us a family of 3. On the day that I labored I visited my Dr., went to Value City, and played cards with Dan and my parents, all the while Chase was preparing to meet us. When we got to the hospital, we walked the halls and looked at each other, like "how did we get here, and now what do we do?" I vividly recall the moment I received the much anticipated pain relief and observed my husband nap, snack, and take a bath in MY jacuzzi tub. Was this a vacation for him? Certainly this was not part of the birth plan.

What a day, and night, early morning, and finally late morning of great excitement. When Chase was born at 10:38am we rejoiced, we had a son! A precious gift according to God's plan. Happy Birthday Chase!

I suppose I have no real birth plan for this 4th time around. If I did, it would go something like this:

--Wake up on a Tuesday or Thursday from an excellent night's sleep
--Send the boys off the school with a hug and kiss
--Shower, shave
--Eat first breakfast, read an inspiring bible verse such as Philippians 4:13
--Labor begins.
--Call Dan who WILL NOT be working in Indiana.
--An hour later, drop off Joy and head to the hospital.
--Be greeted with open arms by the anesthesiologist
--Push a time or two
--Meet our baby gal.
--Actually have a name to give her.

It could happen, maybe with a few minor adjustments.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is this picture taken?

Anonymous said...

chelle-

maybe if you write that awesome plan down, it will help it come true! but do you really need a plan? aren't you an expert at this by now?

-amanda

Marc said...

I was unaware the fathers were allowed to use the whirlpool jacuzzi bathroom/pleasuredome.

Now I feel ripped off.

Anonymous said...

Finally commenting: Chelle, it could go like that but don't plan on it. You know we're there for you whatever the timetable.It's getting so close now! Can't wait to meet our new little granddaughter. Praying for you in these last weeks as you are getting more weary. Love Mom