Monday, March 17, 2008

Sell, Salvage, Donate, or Dump!


An old friend, and I use that term lightly, has returned to haunt me these past couple weeks. An old friend named Pack-Rat. I have tried to ignore him, but it just isn't proper to ignore an old friend now is it?

Remember this post of almost 2 years ago? Did I not learn a hard lesson from my pack-ratty ways?

Once again I have a storage room full of clothes, housewares, and junk that needs to be purged.
As previously mentioned, the my Nesting Instinct is in full swing.

Nesting Instinct --according to pregnancy weekly

Around the fifth month of pregnancy, the "nesting" instinct can set in. This is an uncontrollable urge to clean one's house brought on by a desire to prepare a nest for the new baby, to tie up loose ends of old projects and to organize your world.

Fifth month? No one told me that! I was supposed to take care of all of this in the 5th month, and somehow I am nearing the 9th month with pack rat still hanging around!

I ask you now bloggers, what to do.

Shall I save it for a garage sale in the summer? Donate it all to the thrift store?
Toss it out? or simply stand paralyzed at the thought of it all and close the door to it. Do I need to tackle this kind of project so late in the game?

please advise


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It must be the time of year, not the "nesting" thing. I have two piles of clothes in my closet that I just pulled from the hangers. Time to get it all together for Goodwill I say. (In my case, I hope it isn't a "nesting" thing!!!
Aunt Cher

Anonymous said...

I think you should ignore it and just shut the door

Nicole said...

Chelle, I love throwing stuff out! It's a really weird thing about me...I am the type that would love to "sort" thru people's belongings and keep for them what I think they need...and dump the rest.

Garage sales are WORTH-O-LESS! I had 1 in my life and it sucked! Give it away, Give it away, Give it away now.

Anonymous said...

chelle,

this post of your is going to make me lose sleep tonight! i can't stand clutter and chaos; so much so that if know someone else has it, it bothers me! i know, i know, i have issues (don't we all?) i think, while you have the time and willpower, you should purge all the stuff you don't need or use. no garage sales! you will feel so much better and then it won't be staring you in the face all the time and you can't just think about the new baby:)

-amanda

Anonymous said...

Amanda,
I would love it if you would come over and take care of this for me!!
SAVE ME!!!!

MiniMe Mom said...

5 months? I am just starting to get the nesting instinct right now.

Baby Room? Check
Kayden's room? Check
Rest of House? Not so much.

At least your living room looks great! Ours currently has a race car bed as a centerpiece.

Laurie said...

I say donate but don't dismiss a good 'ole garage sale. We made $400 bucks last year getting rid of all the baby gear. Wait, you still need ALL that crap right? Or is that just a basketball under that cute maternity shirt? :)

Any guesses as to what was the hottest ticket at the garage sale?
I was told it was underpriced and so I jacked up the ticket and still sold it easily. Any guesses?

Lia Leenstra said...

DONATE!! DONATE!!

Sonny Huisman said...

I second the Red Hot Chili Peppers comment from Nicole! Get rid of it! Don't close the door - it will continue to nag on you. Use your current burst of energy to put it all in the MV and drop it off to Goodwill. You'll be rid of the junk - and you'll have peace of mind before baby girl comes.

Or better yet . . . have Amanda or Nicole come and do it for you!

Anonymous said...

dan-

just tell me the time and day and i'll be there!

-amanda

p.s.- i charge $22 an hour. does that make you less excited for me to come over?