Saturday, March 08, 2008

Grace in an unexpected place.

Many Friday nights following what seemed to be a long week I drift off to sleep with grand visions of the perfect Saturday morning. It might go something like this:

I roll over, wake up slightly to notice my clock says 6:30. I realize it's Saturday and doze back to sleep. I awake again as I hear the kids playing nicely at 8:00am and think to myself, "oh, what precious loving angels." As my husband is right there keeping the bed warm on the cold morning, I enjoy the fact that he is home on a Saturday as those days will soon come to an end when Spring arrives. With everyone awake, we congregate in the kitchen to enjoy artificially flavored blueberry pancakes and anticipate the day ahead. No fighting, no whining, just glee.

The above did not occur today.

Instead of describing every last detail about how this particular Saturday stunk, I will share the one redeeming quality for this Saturday morning filled with fighting , whining, and non-glee.

All 3 of them were playing with Joy's doll house, ironically called the Loving Family Doll House.

Snarling and gnashing of teeth ensued. I stomped into the room. Well, I waddled as fast as I could and sighed heavily as to let it be known that heads were going to roll.
Joy had thrown the picnic table at Dewey's head "for no reason!" Off to my bed she went to sit, cry and hopefully prepare her apology. She screamed for her blankets , Dewey cried in pain, and Chase felt altogether satisfied that he had no part in the debacle. As she continued to cry, I saw Dewey do the most unexpected thing, and this is what gives me hope for my children, heck, for humanity.
He went to Joy's room, found her blankets (dee-tees), opened the door just enough to slide them through the crack and hand them to her.
Let me tell you, I was shocked. I stood there in my robe with my mouth wide open.
My children actually care for one another? My children can actually see past themselves once in awhile.
God's great grace and the Holy Spirit works in little hearts!
Now, just how do I apply this to my own life when someone throws a picnic table at me...




4 comments:

Triplet Mom said...

Oh Dewey... the middle child always has it so rough. (S.S.S.) You know..

denise said...

Dewey has such a tender heart. I just melt when he randomly comes up to me and gives me a hug. What a precious story. They really do love each other, though it may not always be very evident! Thanks for sharing! Love Mom D

Anonymous said...

Congrats on making it to 35 weeks. FYI-Makayla was born at 35 weeks, I hope you have your bags pack and ready to go. I had just packed mine the day before she was born.

Marva's "Marvalous" Memories said...

What a great story - you really need to consider a career in writing (once the kids are all off to school). Yes, they do keep you guessing!! I agree with Stacey about the 'poor' middle child! Love ya! Aunt Marva