Tuesday, June 08, 2010

If these shoes could talk

 First Day of School August 31, 2009

Last Day of School June 9, 2010
(objects are much more destroyed than they appear)

Tomorrow is the last day.
I predict the kids will jump out of bed as they did only one other time this year--the first day of school.

What is a sweet time for my kids is a bittersweet accomplishment for me.
They have worked so hard to complete Kindergarten, Second, and Fourth grades respectively.  I have worked hard at wishing they wouldn't grow up so fast.   It is not that I don't want my children to become teenagers and ultimately adults,  I just so enjoy them as is.    On the verge of it all.

To prove that my thoughts don't change all that much over the years,  I dug up this post from the archives.  Oh my.  They didn't stay little.

Most of the melancholy feeling toward summer break comes from the fact that the next 14 weeks will not be what we hoped they would.
There will be no back to school baby.

This summer was going to mean washing and sorting baby clothes,  rearranging bedroom assignments and staying up way too late searching for the perfect baby name.
It was supposed to send Dan to McDonalds to calm my late night ice cream cravings.

I had planned on plopping my round self in a raft in the lake or pool and feel my little one wiggle around as I lay there enjoying all that is summer vacation.

These are dreams I am gradually letting go of. 

As much as I want to wallow this rainy night.   I choose to change gears.   I don't want to ruin my kids' summer while I grieve.  They deserve a momma that is present. 

I will do the cottage thing,  the pool thing,  the park dates and all the rest.  
I will sleep in and buy them ice cream and go camping. 
I will finish projects we've always wanted to start.
I will live summer 2010 in hope.

School's out.  Happy Summer all.

5 comments:

Braaaaaaaaaad said...

The shoes are not as beat up as I would expect. My shoes took way more beating when I was a kid! 'Course we only had one pair of shoes when we were kids.

Your feet are a bit paler too. Although both versions have the goofy flip flop tan lines. HA!

Kristy said...

Noah went through 3 pairs of shoes this year but that is what we get when you wear the same pair day after day.

Anonymous said...

do you have the same toenail polish on?

-amanda

Mom H said...

I loved that picture of the 3 kids in the tub!They surely did grow up but one thing didn't change. Joy still wants to wear pink dresses,YEAH!!
I'm praying we can be a part of making it a great summer for you all. Love Mom

Denise said...

Only you would think of taking pictures of the kids shoes on the first day of school! So cute!