Sunday, August 27, 2006

Sleepless in Caledonia


Tonight is Sunday night, and the last night before the first day of school. Guaranteed, I will be tossing and turning all night. This is a common thing for me on Sunday nights, I can't get my mind to turn off and perhaps I had a Diet Pepsi (sooo much better that Diet Coke) too late into the evening and the caffeine is getting to me. But the reason I will be awake tonight is this, my little boy, my firstborn will be starting First grade tommorrow. This is the big time. I will miss him for so many reasons. Chase is the big kid around here. The younger ones follow his lead and look to him for entertainment. He is so helpful and kind, and always ready with a hug and a smile. Maybe I fear that school and all the hooligans he meets will change his mild mannered and good heart. I don't think that Drew is going to get along real great without Chase at home, they are best friends and this summer that relationship was really cemented. See video.


I know we will all adjust.

I know every Mom goes through this, but it is emotional nonetheless. If you know me, I am not a huge crier, but this has had me on the verge all month, and at the most random times! I was in Meijer on Friday night and spent half and hour finding just the right pencil box for Chase. I mean, come on, it was just a pencil box but I was obsessed with it. I did not find one that I liked and I started welling up---ridiculous!

Well, that about sums it up for now. Insomnia, back to school, and crying over a pencil box. Just another day in the life of every mother out there, can anyone relate?

4 comments:

MiniMe Mom said...

Kayden is only two and I already feel your pain! A sampling from my favorite book "Let me Hold You Longer"- The last time that you ran to me still small enough to hold, the last time that you said you'd marry me when you grow old. Precious simple moments and bright flashes from the past-Would I have held on longer if I'd known it was your last? Your last few hours of kindergarten, those last days of first grade, Your last at bat in little league, last color picture made. I never said goodbye to all the yesterdays gone past, help me hold on longer God to all the precious lasts.

Time sure does slip by fast doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

CHELLE,
MY KIDS WILL TELL YOU THAT I AM A "BASKET CASE" WHEN ANY OF MY KIDS LEAVE HOME. THEY EVEN CALLED EACH OTHER ABOUT HOW TO HELP MOM WHEN TIM MOVED OUT-SO YOU HAVE YEARS OF TEARS AHEAD. THAT'S OK-IT SHOWS HOW MUCH YOU LOVE YOUR KIDS. CHIN UP GIRL!
LOVE AUNT MICKI

Old School said...

I need to know how to add videos, you computer nerd

Anonymous said...

We will take great care of Chase at school.

Wendy