Monday, December 18, 2006

"Back in my day..."

Remember that Grumpy Old Man from Saturday Night Live? Here are a couple of his more famous ramblings.

Grumpy Old Man: I'm old and I'm not happy. Everything today is improved and I don't like it.
Grumpy Old Man: In my day, we didn't have video-games! We just sat around and watched a potata' bake, and that's the way we liked it!

I mean no disrespect here but sometimes we tease my mother about things she says similiar to Grumpy Old Man. Back in her day, they laid babies on their stomach, there was no such thing as acid reflux--that was just a colicky baby. And another famous one--we just didn't go out as much as you girls do nowadays with your kids, we just stayed home. I love you Mom!! :)

The sad thing is I have caught myself saying the following:
  • What's the deal with teenagers? Back when I was in high-school NO ONE had a cell phone. I knew of two dudes that had pagers, and even that seemed fishy. We were just fine, if we needed to call someone, we'd find a pay phone.
  • In my day, we were modest--we wore big, baggy clothes and we liked it!
  • I didn't even use the internet until 1999! I brag about how I used an actual word processor and not a computer for my college papers. (papers might be a bit of a stretch. let's call them writings that were exactly the length required not a word more.)
  • When I got my driver's license a gallon of gas was only .89 cents!!!!
So as you can see I have turned into Grumpy Old Woman. Having said that here are a few good things about today's day and age.
  • Most of the fathers of my generation are VERY helpful. Changing diapers, putting kiddos to bed, loading the DISHWASHER (another perk), things that dads from previous generations just did not always do. Thanks, Dan!
  • Today we have opportunities to be involved in a church community in which people aren't just there to show their face but to really worship and praise God, really care for each other, and really fellowship. I don't claim expertise on how Christians of the past few decades perceived church, I just know that some things have changed--for the better.
  • And last but not least...can I get a shout out for MINI-VANS!!!???

22 comments:

Michelle said...

I KNOW! I just started drinking coffee 3 months ago, and it's true my brother-in-law, 14, loves cappuccino.
craziness.

Anonymous said...

When I first started drinking Coffee (in high school) we drank it BLACK! No sugar, cream, cappuccino. I still do. I don't mind some Vanilla creamer now and again but what's up with SUGAR in COFFEE!?!? Talk about rotting guts! Kids just think it's "cool" to say they drink coffee when it us basically a different kind of Hot Cocoa with more caffine

Anonymous said...

3 things: Make-up, hair coloring, and dating.
Make-up: I think they wear it elemetary school. I was allowed to wear gloss and a LITTLE mascara in about 7th grade. By 8th grade most girls were wearing it.
Hair-Coloring: I could not believe how many kids get it done, in the salon no less! Young too, even under 10. Boys and girls. Crazy!!
Dating/Going-out: 16 was the big number in my day. Oh and not a day before 16 for some. Anyways, these kids holding hands in the mall are micro. They still need babysitters!

Anonymous said...

You all sound so old. What's with this back in my day stuff? I'm almost 44 and I still consider this time in my life to be MY DAY!

Old School said...

In my day I didn't have a new car, I had old used chevette, you had to peddle like fred flinstone, and I liked it,

Coffee should be Black and Strong and made with blue fertilizer water from the greenhouses

Anonymous said...

I too learned to drink coffee at the greenhouses. We did not use water, just eat the grounds. We never washed the cups and we liked it.

Anonymous said...

Mini-Vans BLOW!!!!!!!!!

MiniMe Mom said...

No Mini-Van yet!

As a freshman in college, I searched Marilyn Monroe. There were five possible hits for me to look at. Now there are about 3 million.

Anonymous said...

Everybody knows I invested the internet

Anonymous said...

invented

tami said...

First I agree with the black coffee drinkers out there unless you are having what I like to call a "fancy coffee" in the afternoon.
Rob and I were just saying last night after putting one of our tapes in the VCR that it felt like it was an eight track.
Noah thinks that you could always look at the picture right after you take it.

Michelle said...

good call Sparky, kids these days have waaaay too fancy of cars. I expect your boys to drive around in some old jalopey--ya know, keep up with the family tradition. Remember some of Fig's vehiculars?

double yikes.

Old School said...

You know what my kids will be driving........you have seen it......I am currently driving it.

Old School said...

I forgot to mention, I (we)(Cheryl) had a mini van for about 6 months, not something I am proud of

Anonymous said...

I remember Aunt Cheryl's mini-van, it looked like a dustbuster.
Speaking of cars I know you all wish you could have driven the Corsica!!!
Yes the same car Dougie once climbed through the window to get in and out of. The car mom tried to spray paint to cover up the peeling paint. Oh yeah and the one with four different hubcaps, which dad would pull over on the highway to pick up new ones.

Old School said...

I loved the corsica.

Anonymous said...

Okay you guys! I know none of you are past 50 yet, but, "Mini-vans rule!"
They are BUTT HIGH. Yes, that means you can just slide in and slide back out. No goaning and risking getting a hernia when you want to travel somewhere. (Less sneaky flatulence too, Sparky.)

Just wait until you all get old and you will know what I mean.

MiniMe Mom said...

Just around the corner, senior citizen, is the motorized chair that lifts you up to standing position at the click of a button.

Anonymous said...

Okay Minime Mom,
That is just getting nasty! It won't be long and you will be realizing that I was right all along. I would love to see you crawl out of the back seat when you are nine months with child!
Then you will know!

MiniMe Mom said...

Not trying to be nasty. Last time I was nine months with child I had a Mustang Convertible- it sucked! Not great for getting in and out of preggos. Or the fact that Josh and I could not ride together, and the stroller did not even fit in the so-called trunk.

Michelle said...

I think I know who "Crabby 'ol senior" is...

Anonymous said...

Hey! What's with telling the blogging world that your mom lives in the past,Chelle? They were good days. I was content to stay home with you 3 little buggers cause it was too much work to go to the mall. And besides I only had X amount of dollars "in my day".And no I never had a Mini Van cause Fig and I were too cool for that and we liked it!!