Friday, March 02, 2007

the great debate.

When our daughter was born on my birthday 3 years ago (yesterday) we didn't know we were having a daughter. With two boys in the house, I was secretly longing for a girl, to even things out a bit. When she had no less than exited my womb for 10 seconds, my husband cried out,

"It's a GIRL---We're done!"
I remember thinking at that moment, "He's just joking around, no one can make that type of final decision moments after the birth of their child."

But yet I certainly had. For me, the feeling is never stronger than just after the moment of birth, that I want to do this again and again. Crazy, really considering the pain af labor and delivery, but that all just vanishes immediately for me upon the sight of my newborn.

I thought the birth of my 4 new nieces this fall would seal the deal for me. I would realize that our family is complete. I would come to my senses, appreciating how far I've come away from the baby stage. No diapers here, nary a nursing pad in sight. Wouldn't most moms relish this accomplishment instead of long for the days?
While babysitting the triplets this week, I couldn't stop sniffing them and rubbing their little cheeks on my own. Am I hopeless? Will I be 56 years old and hope to have a surprise pregnancy?

With my youngest turning 3 and babies stacked up like cord wood in our family I've got baby fever!!!!!

This topic has been on and off the table for many months now and needs to be resolved.

Question--How do you know when enough is enough?? (children that is)





Will this be me??

for more on this actual family click here.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you feel God wants for you? (erase all personal want and desire)...I think your answer lies there. Discernment is a tough thing, I know.

Michelle said...

Go for 13 Michelle, I dare you!

Anonymous said...

I knew we were done the minute I heard the Dr. say "..and here's baby C" When I couldn't even tell what he was looking at yet!

I'm just waiting for Wife to give me the go-ahead to go to Dr Snip.

Take the jump Danno!

Anonymous said...

The largest family that I personally know is 15. Maybe you could break that record?

Anonymous said...

Is that family P.R.?? lol

Old School said...

I went to DR snip, immediately after payton

Anonymous said...

Dr Snip scares me

The largest family I know is my grandma Dieleman who was the oldest of 21 kids.

MiniMe Mom said...

I have watched a TV show on that family before! It's amazing that they pay cash for everything. Crazy.

I have no idea how many is too many, but people in this area tend to have larger families, so you must not be alone in your thinking.

Braaaaad, you will have another one. It gets easier.

Laurie said...

First of all, love the new template. Secondly, when the thought of another pregnance fills you with more feelings of dread than joy ... than you know you are done. (It is also always helpful to remember that those sweet smelling babies will someday be a messy toddler or a stinky teenager.)

And finally, perhaps you are experiencing spring fever and mistaking it for baby fever? This snow blows.

Katie said...

I think Nicholas needs another cousin soon! :)

Anonymous said...

When you are feeling the baby urge, just give me a call. Finn is usually available for cuddling around midnight, 3 am, and 6am. Just let me know!

Anonymous said...

I honestly NEVER thought I would feel done. I prayed about it a lot. And I can say that God answered my prayer. I don't feel any pitter-patter in my heart when I hold a baby or see one being born. If you still have the desire, it MAY be God telling you that you are not done. Just my input. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my dear Michelle, I just don't know what to tell you.It has to be a decision agreed upon by the two of you totally. Keep praying about it. God will give you an answer.As for me it was different. Stacey and Ross were 18mos apart so by the time I felt ready Ross was older than Joy. Then I thought there was too much space and I didn't want to get tied down again. Then there was the tuition issue. So we decided it best to visit the Dr.( Dan it's not that bad, just ask Fig)Many years later I wished we had a brother for Ross but then I found out he liked having Dad to himself as a boy. Go figure. I'll pray for you and Dan that God will make it clearer to you what His will is in this. I love you guys!