Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Best Day Ever.

I might be overstating it a bit, but last Wednesday ranks pretty high.

Let me give you a little history. My husband works in concrete construction. It is a dirty job. Each and every day Dan comes home with dirt, mud, concrete, oil, etc, all over him. For almost 10 years his work clothes have piled up in the garage until he or I decided to either rid ourselves of them or worst yet--attempt to wash them! In 10 years we have gone through 3 washers and 2 dryers due to the abuse they take from washing his heavily soiled garments.


It has been one of those sore subjects in our marriage that seems to rear it's ugly little head every so often. Once, early in our married life I had had it up to my ears with his disorganized piles of dirty, smelly clothes. As any horrible wife would, I shouted out the threat "If you don't take care of those work clothes I'll throw them out in the front yard! How'd ya like that, huh?" Out in the front yard they went. But Dan being the excellent bluffer that he is, took that threat and raised me on it. It didn't bother him that his clothes were out in the yard, he got up , put on his clothes one leg, one arm, one shoe at a time just like any other day and went on his merry way to work. My plan was foiled.

Fast forward to now and why I am happy as a clam. Last week my dream came true.

wait for it....

Dan has WORK UNIFORMS!!!!!!!. This is exciting on so many levels. No more work laundry! No more piles of old T-shirts from 1998 stacked a mile high. No more bickering!
It was like my birthday! He thought it was his too.

The simple things in life, ya know?

photo coming soon...if he'll let me.
Seriously though, best day ever.

I thank God for the laborous, grueling, dirty work that He has provided, and that Dan is willing to get out there and do it for all of us.



9 comments:

Katie said...

Seems like you have been waiting forever for this - glad it finally happened! Is dan?

denhartigh said...

Coming from a daughter of a concrete man and the daughter of a mom who dealt with the same issues... I celebrate your day with you! That is awesome and yes, the simple things in life are the greatest joys. Dan cracks me up. I can picture him sitting in the front yard getting dressed. Too funny.

MiniMe Mom said...

It has been a long time coming! That is awesome!

Laurie said...

Funny! My husband currently has a stack of "paint shirts" that are on the bottom of his closet floor. They smell "delightful". Should I toss them out on the lawn? =)

Michelle said...

Laurie--My first instinct is to say--Heck yes, toss em out.. but I've learned (the hard way) not to always follow my first instincts, for they are usually not the nicest or most lady like.

Old School said...

Just testing my new name and picture

Old School said...

Yup, that proves it, I look good with a mullet

Old School said...

Real Good!

Michelle said...

gee, thanks for gracing MiniVan MegaFun with your mulleted presence