Friday, March 09, 2007

Right and Wrong


Lately in my house I have heard many discussions amongst my children about who is right and who is wrong. Their arguments usually revolve around what snack I said they could eat or how long they get to stay up. Once they even tried to guess what song they would sing in Sunday school--it never ends well, because someone is correct and the other is incorrect. I would rather them debate what is right and wrong but can I really expect such moral maturity?

Not following far behind comes the self-righteous "I told you so!"

Where did they learn this? Did they learn it from Dan and myself?

I'm afraid so. By my own admission, I dig a good debate and I will, on occasion "pick a fight" just for the sake of arguing.

As I've realized the same tendencies in my children I shudder a little bit. I admire friends and family of mine that avoid conflict, that detour confrontation. Shouldn't I be raising kids that are open minded, empathetic, and basically don't always need to be right? Humble little souls?

Interesting topic don't you think?

I knew I had a problem when Dan gave me a pin that said the following:

"Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken"

It's funny because it's true.

5 comments:

Katie said...

I think Scott would like to give me that pin sometimes too :)

Anonymous said...

Chelle?!?!? You?!?!? Huh, I never made the connection!


I'm NEVER like that!



HA!

Anonymous said...

Considers yourself served. You will receive official paperwork in the following days, but you we are going after uspecified damages for your using our likeness in your blog.

Expect the same from Daimler-Chrysler.

Michelle said...

nice try, but the Mini-Van is a Chevy.

Laurie said...

Growing up with five girls in one house (only 6 1/2 yrs. apart) made for some lively conversations/ confrontations. My dad also used to sit down the feuding parties and tell us, "no one is leaving until we air this out and move on." No conflict avoiders here! :)