Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Another One of My Great Ideas.

This blog has seen many of my epiphanies-- moments of sudden revelation or insight.

To name just a few:
  • Laundry--start and finish all it in one day.
  • Credit Cards--cut 'em up
  • My deliberate decision to drink coffee--and like it.
  • Becoming an early riser
  • Spring cleaning.
I feel like I am always coming up with great plans, new ideas for efficiency and self improvement. Today I came up with a brand spankin new one. It stems from one of my apparent flaws---I hate to meal plan, get groceries, and basically cook or bake. I look at my shopping cart and cupboards full of bounty but don't know what to do next. What irritates me is the stuff that sits in my cupboards for weeks, months, or even longer. Food stuffs that never get used, is old, or just plain does not sound appetizing.

All this leads up to my new plan!

I hereby declare that we will empty our cupboards, purge our frig , and vacate the freezer.
Yes, I know I'll still need to buy a few basics here and there, but it is high time we use what we already have before I mindlessly buy more and more!

Can it be done?
Will I finish the 7 or more boxes of cereal that are half gone?
Will we eat the freezer burned green beans from last summer? (D, you know what I'm talking about.)
Stay tuned.

9 comments:

Katie said...

I totally need to do that too. I keep buying new stuff and the old stuff just gets pushed further and further back.

Anonymous said...

I decided I was going to do that too, about three weeks ago. It is working....and I am glad I'm not the only one with seven or so boxes of cereal!

tami said...

I also have many boxes of cereal, but otherwise I am the opposite. I hate to spend money on groceries and try to buy a few as possible, leading to not having enough to make supper. Drives Rob crazy, his mom's cupboards are full.

MiniMe Mom said...

I'm with you, Tami-I even had a houseguest open our fridge and comment how empty it was:-)

Sonny Huisman said...

Mike and I recently have taken to doing the same thing. He doesn't mind stopping by the store on his way home from work . . . so about twice a week he picks up the necessities and we don't waste nearly as much as we used to - especially the fresh produce. We just buy what we're going to eat. No more slimey lettuce in the drawer!

It also helps that we've had an average of 3 meals a week being brought to us . . . we've been a little spoiled lately. That will end soon though, and we'll be back to making our own.

Triplet Mom said...

You know me Chelle. I buy what is strictly on the list, and I make the list from my monthly meal plan calendar. Can you say, nerd? Yes, but it saved our m...eals! You all thought I was going to say marriage - Ha!

Anonymous said...

It's the Hopkins way. I bet if you go into your parents cereal cupboard there will be 7 different kinds of cereal open for 2 people and only one eats it!

A noble cause all in all Chelle!

See "My day" @ http://www.footin.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Oh, you have no idea what a real overpacked cupboard looks like until you have seen ours. The record is 17 boxes of cereal. I am not kidding! For just the two of us. Our pantry is so full of food we found a box of milk bones way in the back. We have not had our dog for about 5 years now. I am not complaining however. Three freezers full of meat is a really good thing. Should I keep going? But in Jude's defence we are listed in the Red Cross plan for 3 months of food rations for the Caledonia community.

Anonymous said...

Fig likes the leftovers