Saturday, May 19, 2007

To be a kid again.


This was a great weekend for being a kid.

My children enjoyed a campfire, soccer game, Golf cart rides, Birthday party at the GRCM
Slip and Slide, and numerous freeze-pops. What I noticed about kids again today is that they run everywhere. I wonder if I did the same, did I aimlessly run through the grass, did I pick flowers (weeds) for my mommy, did I realize just how great it was to be a child? Probably not.

Forgive me for sounding like an episode of The Wonder Years. Boy, that show was so great.
Sometimes I think I should sit down and write down as many childhood memories that I can so I don't forget and can tell them to my kids. I also think that my parents should do the same. (Hint, hint)

This morning I checked out my cousin Carl's Blog
Strangely enough, his blog echoed many of my thoughts from this weekend.
His post today highlighted a local story from the GR Press about some neighborhood kids and their homespun Major League Whiffleball team. It is a great article about the simple joys of youth. Check it out, click here, then click Field of Dreams.
Here's to Summer Break! 12 and a half days left of school!!!!

7 comments:

Old School said...

Thanks

tami said...

Seems to be a theme. I posted my blog before reading Carl's or yours, but again it's about silly fun things kids do.

Anonymous said...

What is that contraption those kids are playing in??? It's awesome!

Anonymous said...

Kick the Can, Hide and Seek, Follow the Arrows",Ditch Dougie, Exploring the Creek to Gun Lake, Swimming in Mud Lake. I didn't have time for Little League, Soccer, Vacation Bible School or anything organized. Maybe that is my problem. I am still searching for a home made game that Uncle Tom or I have not made up yet. I am afraid most of Chelles imagination was a remake of some TV show she saw. Little Outhouse On the Prairie, Wonder Years, Fresh Prince. Is was quite well done as she bossed her sister and brother around and told what character to play.

Michelle said...

True that, Fig, True that.

I am laughing out loud about Little Outhouse on the Prairie!

Anonymous said...

"Little Outhouse on the Prarie" I couldn't have said it better myself!

Once again Fig I must give you props on your wordsmithmanship.

Anonymous said...

childhood totally rocks, espcially in retrospect when we forget about the fact that we wanted to be "grown ups so we can go to bed whenever we want to and no one can tell us what to do." seriously, how delusional were we? and the wonder years is awesome. it's in syndication on one of my cable channels and i dvr it every night!